New Dwarf Gourami not doing well...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Faberbutt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, on Thursday, I made a trip and got some new fish for my aquarium. Among those was a second Dwarf Gourami.... He's tiny, smaller than the size of a nickle, and immediately started hiding whenever I put him in his quarantine tank (which is full of plants and all that good stuff).

All of my other fish seem fine and I got them all from the same LFS.. But he is currently laying on his side at the bottom of the tank, his little mouth is barely moving, and he hasn't eaten.

All of my water perimeters are great. My tank is fully cycled, the filter cartridges are newly changed, everything is as it should be except for this fish.

Oh, I've also been treating him with Paraguard since this started.

Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• DSC_0269.jpg
    DSC_0269.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_0278.jpg
    DSC_0278.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0282.jpg
    DSC_0282.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 39
I suspect DGIV.

Dwarf gourami iridovirus is apparently specific to the dwarf gourami (Colisa lalia), including the various fancy varieties of the species, such as neon gouramis and sunset gouramis. Infected fish develop a variety of symptoms, including loss of color, decrease in activity and appetite, the appearance of sores and lesions on the body, abdominal swelling and finally death. This fish disease is highly contagious, completely untreatable and invariably fatal.

The highlighted symptoms are what I can see. Considering how prevalent this disease is (something like 22% of the gouramis imported), it's the most likely thing.

Also why would you change the first cartridges? There is really no reason to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Medication is hard on fish, why treat a fish that you have no clue of what it has. You don't even know if the fish is sick at all. I suggest clean water and limited lighting.

Also why would you change the first cartridges? There is really no reason to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I changed the mechanical filtration cartridge, not the bio. It was quite nasty and due for a change.

Back
Top Bottom