New fish keep dying.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh also I don't think it is me, when I returned the dead fish they thought I walked away but I was down an isle I heard the guy say to someone more dead fish. So I honestly think it wasn't me and I noticed a ton of dead fish in their tanks. Not going back there.

Snails are not leaving. That was someone else commenting. I have a 55 gallon bow front set up for 7 years I have 2 hob filters. I use the master kit. I gravel vac every couple days and I barely get anything. Filters I just completely put New in a couple days ago. Yes I rinse them in old water. I discovered my light was going bad. I just replaced with full spectrum led. 2 days ago. Water change every week in the winter it evaporates a lot so I add instead of changing once in a while. I will get a picture.

Thank you, these details may help us help you [emoji1360]

Be careful not to over clean. If you need to completely change out a pad ? I only change one. And I only throw it out if it's falling apart.
Also because I'm so cautious of losing BB if I'm changing a new pad in I may do gravel vac/PWCs on a different day.

If you have plants don't gravel vac next to them.

What is your total stock now ?

Any live plants ?

Try to do a water change at least every 2 weeks if the tank is lightly stocked. Just adding water only dilutes the bad stuff, it doesn't remove it. I've topped up instead of PWC on weeks I had no time. [emoji1360].

I have planted tanks and my 55g gets ferts 3x weekly so I have to do PWCs.

Sounds like a good set up [emoji226][emoji226]

Is your tank an open top ? If you add a glass top that will cut down your evaporation. My lights are T5HO so I'm not worried about losing some PAR.
I worry about too much light. I have my lights on timers.

You had said your snails were crawling out to poop, I took that as escape attempts.

If you ever want to try an easy live plant you can tie or super glue a Java Fern to your log.

I add a dark background to all my tanks. It hides the filters and you can see the fish much better [emoji1360]
I've used towels, cloth, black bags, whatever I have handy. Or you can get Coroplast or paint the back. I prefer to have a removable option.

This is my 55g
IMG_1480530381.196353.jpg
IMG_1480530436.099573.jpgIMG_1480530466.893286.jpgIMG_1480530558.822903.jpg

Bowfronts are nice tanks. Having 2 filters is great.

Last edited:
I have 2 fish 3 shrimp and 4 snails. The 2 snails just love to be above the water during the day. The other 2 stay in the water. I have all glass top. These pads had to be changed they were falling apart. No live plants. Our lfs suck here for plants. I have a timer for my light. Yes I do water changes. Like I said in the winter I have to top up and water change. Some weeks. I used to have 5 tanks before we moved and now just this one. I'm trying to find space to set up more lol. I have tons of stuff just sitting in the attic. some day soon I hope.

I have 2 fish 3 shrimp and 4 snails. The 2 snails just love to be above the water during the day. The other 2 stay in the water. I have all glass top. These pads had to be changed they were falling apart. No live plants. Our lfs suck here for plants. I have a timer for my light. Yes I do water changes. Like I said in the winter I have to top up and water change. Some weeks. I used to have 5 tanks before we moved and now just this one. I'm trying to find space to set up more lol. I have tons of stuff just sitting in the attic. some day soon I hope.

Got it [emoji1360]. Thanks for the added details.
If you ever want Plants members on here sell them or eBay or Amazon or join The Planted Tank for bigger variety. Best to order when weather is not extreme of course.

Your LFS don't even have Java Fern ? most big pet shops usually has them in tubes.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have plants but every one I look at isn't worth the money they are usually mostly dead. That's why I haven't had plants in years. On a side note I have a small greenhouse I sell plants for a living and hopefully next summer I'm expanding so I will be able to get bulk shipments of water plants etc.

They have plants but every one I look at isn't worth the money they are usually mostly dead. That's why I haven't had plants in years. On a side note I have a small greenhouse I sell plants for a living and hopefully next summer I'm expanding so I will be able to get bulk shipments of water plants etc.
Mostly dead plants are great! I just got two tissue culture plants for $1 each because I took them up to the counter and asked to have them cheap or for free. Usually they would just defect them out, so it saves the trouble.

Back
Top Bottom