New fish not moving but still alive. What is wrong with it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Imusette

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I'm new to this site so bare with me :)

I just bought a mickkey mouse platy today, and it has been in the aquarium approximately 5 hours. The problem is I have just came up to have a look to see how it is doing and it is not moving at all and at first it appeared to be dead, even when I put my finger next to it since most fish would move away it just sat there. It is breathing though and I've just noticed that occasionally it is randomly breathing bubbles out. Also it is sitting at the top of the tank if this matters.

A 25% water change was done last night and all the parameters seem to be fine so I don't think it could be the water conditions but I don't know. Could it be the stress from the move because I've just saw her move but for the majority of the time she is literally doing absolutely nothing and appears dead.

Last edited:
Is your tank cycled? Pics would very helpful if there are any diseases

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

What's the tank temperature? Filtration? Tank size? How long has it been set up? Other fish? Exact parameters?

I'll fish

The tank is completely cycled, has been for years but there is definitely something going on with it at the moment. I have videos but I don't know how to upload them :s because it didn't upload when I posted the message.

25.4 degrees
60l tank
Fish: 3 gold barbs, 1 tiger barb, 4 guppies, 2 platys, 1 Molly, 2 buenos Aires tetras, 1 tiny Chinese algae eater and another Plecoptera but not sure what breed.

I only have the strip tests at the moment and they say and sorry I don't know because I bought it off of someone a few months ago, I just know it's marina slim filter 15 if that means anything.

Also the new fish definitely doesn't have any illness I checked whilst in the store as for the gold barbs though I don't know, and have a video to show you because can't really get any decent pictures. How do you upload them?

Thanks

Mickkey mouse platy video

Here is the Mickey mouse platy. It's black Mickey mouse colouring has come back now though.

Ammonia was 0.5
Nitrate 25
Nitrite 0.5

I'll do another water change since they are higher than I want but still surely at these levels it shouldn't cause too many problems?

Last edited:
Strip tests are super inaccurate, I wouldn't necessarily trust what readings they give you.

Not quite sure what it is I'll have to think about it

Yes I was thinking of buying some proper ones because I've been having problems for weeks now hence why I joined but I'm pretty sure the water parameters are the problem though I am completely baffled since no amount of water changes are fixing the problem. Plus not sure why but the new platy is completely fine now :s although she was not moving for at least 30 minutes and pretty much looked dead, barely any colouration or anything compared to now. The gold barbs are looking ill though and I'm having issues with the plants, and my pregnant guppy also.

I'll try to post a bunch of pictures, and as for the guppy she was a few weeks pregnant before I got the tank off of someone else a few months ago and still hasn't had any fry.

Pregnant guppy image... I don't know why it won't include the image

Think i've got it working

Attachments

• 2016-01-07 00.03.10.jpg
    2016-01-07 00.03.10.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 2016-01-07 00.01.32.jpg
    2016-01-07 00.01.32.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 2016-01-07 00.02.18.jpg
    2016-01-07 00.02.18.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 68