New problem, Betta with Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dkpate

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have read that most OTC meds for ich will not work on the bettas...One person said they just raised the temp to 86 and that got rid of it. Other people have said they use salt. What do you guys and gals think? :(

all i did was add aquarium salt and aqua master white spot remedy and the ich was gone over night!

just my experience tho.

good luck

The heat method works great and I have used it several times with 100% success and no deaths. Turn the heat to above 86F and add aeration or lower the water level a bit. Keep the heat up for 2 weeks after the last spot of ich is gone. Meds IMO are not necessary when a natural treatment is available and works well.

At above 86F, the life cycle of ich's are about 3 days.
So make sure you leave the temperature high for another 7 days after you saw the last of the white spots on the fishies. Also, crank up the temperature slowly (if you didn't already know :D)
I'm not sure what the sensitivity of betta's are with salt... but adding salt would definitely help the treatment.

Treating Ich

Ok, so I ended up going to the store and getting Ick clear (tablets), QuICK Cure, and Wardley essentials Ick Away. Any suggestions on which one I should use? Thanks!

Yes, I know what I put, but the thing is, I only have a heater for his tank. No way to get the water to 86 deg. So I had no choice.....

i was just kidding with you. Ive heard good things about the jungle tank buddies ich clear... is that what you have? id try those first. Just dont go mixing meds... theyre pretty much all the same from what ive read. I agree with zagz though, its alot better to try and treat with heat, but you gotta do what you gotta do and work with what you have... I'd start with the tablets and hope for the best

I used the QuICK cure cause it was dosed for one gallon (the tank now is 1G, I bought him a 5G today though, so I hope it's done cycling by the time his ich is gone!) and says add one drop a day. Next time I will treat with salt and heat. Trust me, I don't like to give my animals chemicals if I don't have to. My dogs even eat preservative free food. Even though it's a little more expensive, it's worth it.

Back
Top Bottom