Newbei new tank fish are bad helpp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Missplatty

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have my new tank up for 5 days and i know i made alot of mistakes ..new to this....here my story
My tank is a freshwater community 29 gl tank with a 50 gl fillter and heater and two bubble wands
5 guppies
3 mollys
2 plattys
2 swordtail
A pleco
My tank hasnt cycled and the fishes are nipping at each other and their gills are red their tails are orenge and scales are missing and some are missing fins
Tank has lost of bubbles on top and i tested
No2 0
No3 0
Gh 150
Kh 80
Ph 7.2
Havent tested for amonium
What can b wrong or where am i going wrong..dont want to loose my babies

1. Tank isnt cycled
2. Red gills is probably an ammonia issue since tank isn't cycled.
3. Best to use liquid kit and get source water parameters so you have a base.
4. Since you are fish in cycling with a dozen fish youll probably need daily wc to keep parameters down.
5. Make sure feedings are appropriate.

Thank u will do water change ..and how many times is appropriate for feeding ive been doing it twice a day in the am and at 5pm

That questions center around ethics. But theses ate my opinions based on experience. Once a day is sufficient. I skip feeding on wc day. Fish stomach is extremely small. Less is more. Hungry fish are active healthy fish.

I do not see a need to feed 2x day

10%-15% daily, the cycle will take longer because you're doing a fish in cycle and always have to change water, just stay on top of the water changes and the fish will be okay, api master liquid test kit is a must have, check water frequently and if it gets bad after already doing 1 pwc that day do another 10 %, use prime for water conditioner add 0.5 ml extra of prime, do manual water changes with a bucket not a python or another automatic water change system DO NOT touch your filters do water only.

Ok thank u all....so i did a water change and to my suprise i found 8 little fry swiming around i net them out n put them in a 10.gl..with a bubbler i dont have an extra heater or fillter is this ok

It's fine as long as it doesn't drop to a low temp I would say <75 and doesn't get to hot, also get fry food, grats on the babies that's why I stopped keeping guppies and mollies they breed more than rabbits lol.

You can get a breeder net but with your tank not being cycled I wouldn't advise it as your always going to be changing water until it cycles. Keep an eye on the fry tank as well because that's not cycled either.

Yw happy fish keeping, keep that hospital tank running.. Wait you need a sponge filter, not a bubbler go to your lfs and get a small sponge filter, they act as a bubbler plus filter and are what's used in fry tanks cause the fry dint get sucked into it get a small one for a 10 gal

Back
Top Bottom