Noooo, first fishy sickness. Need help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00youknowit00

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, so lucky for me I haven't dealt with ich or anything else. Until now. It seems one of my harlequin rasboras had a clamped fin, and another has some fungus on it:( what do I do? I'm hoping plenty of water changes can fix this. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate around 20

I will be honest, after my cycle finished like 4 months ago, I've only test like 3 times.. :/ I do at least a 50% pwc a week. So I've never worried about my nitrates.. I'm in the middle if a pwc now, so I'll test tomorrow once the water is all mixed up good again.

So theres now definitely a couple with clamped fins, then like 2 with spots that look like some kind of fungus, like almost flowing with the water, if that makes since..

What to do??

Tested water,
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm

I'm going to do another 50% for good measure. I'm not sure if there is something I should be doing specifically, besides more water changes..

Is it possible for you to get pics of this fungus stuff? Is it fuzzy or circular spots or discolored areas(greyish-white)? Where is it located (body, fins, head, mouth)? Your tank seems stable so im not sure what is going on. Have you introduced any new fish recently? Is your tank planted/have any inverts?

I'll try and get pictures, they're H. rasboras, so they don't like to sit still haha.

Yes, it's decently planted with shrimp. I added 2 Golden Wonder Killies saturday.

Not great, but the best I could get, they're really quick when you want a picture!! This is a new one, it looks like ich to me... I can't find the one with the other spot, now. It's not there anymore.

ForumRunner_20111212_190904.jpg

Thanks! I really cant tell from the pics but if you suspect ich, aquarium salt is route to go. Even if its not ich, a theraputic dose will help with minor issues. But, im not sure if shrimp can handle salt. Hopefully, someone with shrimp knows!

It's the middle fish, on the ”back fin” (on top) I don't know the real names:p I don't know if I can do salt with real plants and corys.. Would just heat work?

Heat alone can treat ich (if that what it is). I would give it a try & see if it helps. If it doesnt or they get worse, then we will have to check out some other options. Good luck!!

Okay so now that spot is gone from last night and the fin is clamped, theres like what fuzz on/right by the fin.. Pretty much all, maybe all but one, have a clamped fin.. Only the rasboras are showing anything..

What can I do for the clamped fins/fungus looking stuff?

Im not sure what is going on with everyone having clamped fins. I would keep their water super clean & watch them. The fungus-looking spots may clear up on their own but treating here may be a difficult because of your plants & shrimp. Lets watch them for another day & see if theres any improvement on their own. Have you added anything new to the tank recently (new food, fertilizer, water condit, something else beyond killies)? Is the clamping a new symptom? I have to wonder if the killis introduced something into your tank thats affecting your other fish...

Back
Top Bottom