Not sure if it is ICH (White spot)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandymoo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Everyone,

My female bristlenose has this awful looking ulcer like sore, though it is white and on her belly it looks like she has been dusted with cornflour. She is still eating, no other fish has it in the aquarium, the aquarium has been running for ages though we moved and I used tank water not town water. I have 3 bristlenose (2 @ 10cms females; 1 @ 6 cms male) 2 clown loaches (5 cms) 5 tiger barbs (4cms). 4 neons, 5 (cant remember what they are called but are same size as neons, bright yellow with dot on their body) and a black shark with a red tail (8cm). I don't know my tank parameters, have a filter with spray at top (ceramic beads, charcoal) PH is good. please help, she looks awful

photo.JPG

photo2.JPG

Yes thank you Holly, I posted on there, changed my water today, ph is 7, ammonia is 0. Clown loaches are happy and coloured completely (they fade if the water is not good). It doesn't look like pock marks it looks more like mouldy cheese, its ulcerated on her head, covering her tummy,,,,,

Hi and welcome!
It's not advised to use tank water in aquariums because it does not contain minerals/buffers needed for fish health and keeping the pH stable. I'd suggest switching back to tap/town water and using a a dechlorinator like prime to neutralize the chlorine. I'd also suggest you get your hands on an API master test kit so you can keep an eye on your tank conditions. I can't say exactly what is wrong with your bristlenose exactly but most likely it is going I need antibiotics to recover. We don't have antibiotics over the counter in Australia only via prescription at a vet. I am going to post some info for you to read. It contains important info on cycling and tank maintenance.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html
Edit: Was just thinking you could try dabbing some hydrogen peroxide on the area and dosing melifix to a hospital tank and see if you get an improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlk
Thank you everyone, my bristlenose just died, looking at her, I suspect she has hurt herself and from what I can gather from reading on this site (really helpful) I reckon she has got a secondary infection of some sort. I will still change from tank water to town water as suggested, get a full chemical testing kit (I used to have one but ran out) and still complete the treatment for white spot etc just to make sure. I hate losing my fish, I get very attached to them, even bristlenose have their own little personalities.......

Back
Top Bottom