Old Tetra is dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlh42107

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We've had a Tetra for 6 years. We've never had a fish live so long. He has been laying on the bottom of the tank. But sometimes will swim, but kind of sideways. His coloring looks weird too. Should i just let him die naturally? I've been reading about people euthanizing their fish & it makes me so so sad. I don't think i could do it. Is he suffering??:ermm:

It's hard to tell about fish suffering. If he is just sitting on the bottom most of the time I would just let me go naturally. I have scooped up spastically dying fish and left them in the net and they have calmed down and just gone peacefully after that. Is he being bothered by the rest? It's a really hard call to make.

The last 2 times i've checked on him he is swimming, but sideways like he can't swim good. And he goes to the top,then goes back down....i am so sad for him! It's amazing how long he has lived though. We got him from walmart,which usually those fish are nasty & die so fast. He's had a long good life. He isn't spastic,but i feel when he was swimming to the top he was trying to jump out!

It's all up to you. I just watched our old man tetra pass a week or so ago. Same as yours. He was our learning fish and really went through ****. He didn't seem to be suffering so I just let him go. But I can never tell with fish.

Back
Top Bottom