One Betta gone, Worried about the other.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lofi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all.
So, I have a divided 10gl tank with two male bettas. They've been kicking pretty well, aging about a year or so each. They've both been lazy as of late, laying around, but happily active whenever they detect movement outside of tank. Yesterday the Blue Veiltail wasn't responding, and didn't want to leave the bottom of the tank. When prodded he simply looked awful. He looked dirty? and appeared to have a bloat under his chin. Both Bettas refused to eat. I did a water change but sadly Veiltail didn't make it today and was oddly bleeding blue upon his heavenly decent down the bowel. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any pictures of the Veiltail to perhaps diagnose him..
The other Betta; Buddy- has been moved to a smaller tank out of concern. But still isn't eating and is very lethargic.. simply starring at nothing. I thought I saw his back fins turning red, but it might just be an overlapping of his fins. I tried helping him by feeding him peas, but he just watches them fall. I also put an insanely small amount of epsom salt in his tank. Hoping something will help, I'm just worried about him..
I tested the 10g water before the passing, and after and nothing has changed both reading the following;
pH - 8.2
Ammonia - 0.25ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0.20ppm
There was two small heaters for each occupant that kept the water at 78 - 80. Annnd there is also a filter running. I'll be cleaning the decor thoroughly in hot water, and I'm unsure how much of the water I should change.
Included are a picture of the tank (Veil was on the left side, Buddy on the right) and a Happy, Healthy Buddy, and him currently just starring off as he has been for the last.. 30mins (bottom picture)
Thank you for any help, and please.. help me save my Buddy :c

Attachments

• KIMG0168.jpg
    KIMG0168.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 57
  • KIMG0010.jpg
    KIMG0010.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 67
  • KIMG0167.jpg
    KIMG0167.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 45
A PH of 8.2 is too high for betta fish. Bettas would much rather more acidic water with a PH of 6.5-7. Bettas also don't appreciate any ammonia in their water. Have you cycled your tank? Are you removing any uneaten food? Maybe do a 50% water change to lower the ammonia.
Goodluck :)

Back
Top Bottom