Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2017, 07:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

One Betta gone, Worried about the other.

Hi all.
So, I have a divided 10gl tank with two male bettas. They've been kicking pretty well, aging about a year or so each. They've both been lazy as of late, laying around, but happily active whenever they detect movement outside of tank. Yesterday the Blue Veiltail wasn't responding, and didn't want to leave the bottom of the tank. When prodded he simply looked awful. He looked dirty? and appeared to have a bloat under his chin. Both Bettas refused to eat. I did a water change but sadly Veiltail didn't make it today and was oddly bleeding blue upon his heavenly decent down the bowel. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get any pictures of the Veiltail to perhaps diagnose him..
The other Betta; Buddy- has been moved to a smaller tank out of concern. But still isn't eating and is very lethargic.. simply starring at nothing. I thought I saw his back fins turning red, but it might just be an overlapping of his fins. I tried helping him by feeding him peas, but he just watches them fall. I also put an insanely small amount of epsom salt in his tank. Hoping something will help, I'm just worried about him..
I tested the 10g water before the passing, and after and nothing has changed both reading the following;
pH - 8.2
Ammonia - 0.25ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0.20ppm
There was two small heaters for each occupant that kept the water at 78 - 80. Annnd there is also a filter running. I'll be cleaning the decor thoroughly in hot water, and I'm unsure how much of the water I should change.
Included are a picture of the tank (Veil was on the left side, Buddy on the right) and a Happy, Healthy Buddy, and him currently just starring off as he has been for the last.. 30mins (bottom picture)
Thank you for any help, and please.. help me save my Buddy :c
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0168.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	296352   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0010.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	296353  

Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0167.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	296354  

Old 03-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

A PH of 8.2 is too high for betta fish. Bettas would much rather more acidic water with a PH of 6.5-7. Bettas also don't appreciate any ammonia in their water. Have you cycled your tank? Are you removing any uneaten food? Maybe do a 50% water change to lower the ammonia.
Goodluck

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com