One down...Both down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Came home from work today to the worst news imaginable. My wife found one of the Rams had died. She could not find the other.

An exhaustive search found the other laying in between some driftwood and the java fern. Looks fine but very lethargic.

Parameters:

NH3 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 5ppm
ph = 7.4

The above parameters have been consistent for the past two weeks. The Rams were introduced last Saturday.

I oftentimes think that we worry ourselves over our water parameters when in fact, even though you acclimate them properly, our good tanks just may be so far different from what they are used to that they cannot get over the shock, especially when taking into consideration the number of recent "acclimations" they may have had to go through.

sorry for your losses, I love rams, they are beautiful fish.

Well, for those who know me...it wasn't necessary to post the parameters...just wanted to set a good example. I am aware of the problems inherent in this hobby.

I will not give up on them however. Though it took a while to find a place that stocked decent Rams...I'm sure there are others out there.

:( Checked this morning...the other has also gone on to the big Cichlid stream in the sky.

That was a total of 6 days living in my tank. I am convinced that the Rams just weren't cut out for my tank. Everyone else is having the time of their lives.

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated at this point.

I'm very sorry to hear that you had to lose them. :(

I have no idea what could have caused this knowing that your water parameters are apparently fine! I don't know.....some of the more sensitive fish don't do well in a newly setup tank? :? I haven't got a clue.

Keyhole cichlids are supposedly hardier then rams, so maybe try to get hold of some next? And then after a while try some new rams, when your tnak has been going for a month or two?

Sorry for your loss Jc. :cry:
I know you will be successful the next time. Glad your not going to give up.

And then after a while try some new rams, when your tank has been going for a month or two?

Up until this morning, I had given the new tank syndrome some thought. There is the possibility that diatoms may have had something to do with it. Yeah, I just got a supply during this week. A more mature tank would probably be better in the long run for all.

This event absolutely stunts the planned growth of the tank since the angels are now alone and possibly set up territories before I can the new fish.

Any thoughts on this?

Well, adding more tetras or something won't be a problem. But when you add other cichlids (rams,keyholes), I would try to move or add some pieces of driftwood so that everyone has to set up new territories. 'Best' would have been to add the least aggresive fish first and the most aggresive last. But I know that's not an option anymore. So move some stuff around :?
Maybe someone else can come up with a less labour intensive solution. :wink:

I just saw this thread JC.....I'm so sorry for your loss....I know that your parameters aren't a problem.....and I am SO glad that your not giving up.....I think too many people give up after one loss when there is nothing that they can say is their fault.....keep at it....good luck eith the next set...

I've been giving this some thought Bill. I wouldn't give up on the rams if you want them. Here's what I would do......

Rams are sensitive to changing water conditions. Make sure your pH is stable by taking several readings during a 24 hour period. Especially the day you change water.

Buy fish that have survived at the lfs for at least 2 weeks. In other words don't buy fish shortly after they've been shipped by the distributor. I would also consider buying fish from a reputable breeder on line.

I wouldn't worry too much about territroy spats with the angels. Rams seem to prefer the bottom region and angels generally stake out the middle. When you introduce the new rams, lights out for 24 hours.

HTH

I've given this some thought as well Brian. I had thought about it earlier but the tank is quite immature and is going through a diatom bloom.

In regard to the "on the shelf for two weeks at LFS", this may not be possible. These guys are so popular that they are flying off the shelves...at least the good ones in NYC.

I am really sorry to hear about your fish Jc. Hopefully you will have better luck on your next go'round.

Back
Top Bottom