One sick with ich, the rest healthier than ever, now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jillyhurtaway

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon tank with 3 balloon mollies, a German blue ram and a gourami.
We have been losing electric on and off with the weather lately and my heater and temperature have been fluctuating, so of course, my gourami got all stressed out and got ich.
Now do I treat the whole tank? 90% of the tank is very healthy, and I'm concerned if I quarantine him in a smaller tank any fluctuation (that will happen without control) and I'm afraid I'll overdose the Meds.

What should I do?!

:welcome: to AA! :)

What are your concentration of ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates?

What kind of gourami is it?

If your gourami has it, you won't only have to treat him, you'll have to treat the whole tank. IMO meds are iffy and might not work, so I would keep him in there and treat the whole tank. Boost the tank up to 86 F slowly and add some aquarium salt, which is preferrable, or if you can't get it, kosher salt. Anything with no iodide in it.

Also, give this a read: Freshwater Ich? Yuck!

Jillyhurtaway said:
I have a 20 gallon tank with 3 balloon mollies, a German blue ram and a gourami.
We have been losing electric on and off with the weather lately and my heater and temperature have been fluctuating, so of course, my gourami got all stressed out and got ich.
Now do I treat the whole tank? 90% of the tank is very healthy, and I'm concerned if I quarantine him in a smaller tank any fluctuation (that will happen without control) and I'm afraid I'll overdose the Meds.

What should I do?!

Hi and welcome!
You will need to treat the whole tank. The tank is infected no just the fish. I recommend the heat and salt treatment. Less stressful on the fish. I will post a link for you to read.
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php
Ich is brought on by stress and/or poor water quality. You you know your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

I haven't checked my ammonia and nitrates levels recently, my ph is perfect. I will check the others ASAP. I was gonna just dump Meds in, so I appreciate the more natural approach advice! (I also appreciate the welcome!) :)
The gourami is a young opaline male. I will try the salt and heat and let you know! Also, this won't stress the other fish and make them sick right? I think that's a silly a question...haha

Jillyhurtaway said:
I haven't checked my ammonia and nitrates levels recently, my ph is perfect. I will check the others ASAP. I was gonna just dump Meds in, so I appreciate the more natural approach advice! (I also appreciate the welcome!) :)
The gourami is a young opaline male. I will try the salt and heat and let you know! Also, this won't stress the other fish and make them sick right? I think that's a silly a question...haha

They are probably already infected. The treatment won't stress them. Add a air stone to increase oxygen exchange. Warmer water holds less oxygen. When you say your pH is perfect do you mean 7? Are you adding chemicals to alter it?

Oh no! Now i have a tank full of German blue ram fry!! Should I now remove the only sick fish? Rather than messing with the tank at all? I thought for sure any fry would just become food, (I didn't know she was pregnant, I had to have purchased her that way) but the fry r too big for anyone to eat! all of my levels are in normal range and all the fish are healthy except one very sick gourami. What do u think?

Jillyhurtaway said:
Oh no! Now i have a tank full of German blue ram fry!! Should I now remove the only sick fish? Rather than messing with the tank at all? I thought for sure any fry would just become food, (I didn't know she was pregnant, I had to have purchased her that way) but the fry r too big for anyone to eat! all of my levels are in normal range and all the fish are healthy except one very sick gourami. What do u think?

Read the info I gave you and you'll find the whole tank is infected. You can remove the sick fish and treat but when you put it back it will get reinfected. Try just a heat treatment. Slowly increase the temp up to 86-88 and add an air stone. Treatment is minimum 2 weeks even if all spots are gone. I honestly don't know how the fry will fair.

Back
Top Bottom