Only colorful fish die

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glass17

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Maybe someone here can help me. I am having a very puzzling problem. I have been working with aquariums for years and know most of the basics but something is eluding me. I am having all my guppies and neon tetras die suddenly while all other fish are fine.

Tank: 120 gallons; freshwater plants and fish; three small catfish of various types, 5 small blue rams, 2 dwarf guramis, 5 zebra danios, some kind of small loach, an algea eater, 2 big snails, and an african dwarf frog. No fish are over 3 inches and none act aggressive. Established for 3.5 months now.

Water: Temperature 77F, pH 6.8, general hardness and carbonate hardness are both between 150-200, ammonia and nitrite are zero, nitrate is under 20. I use tap water and a seltzer water and distilled water to replace the 10% water changes I do every 2-3 weeks.

I have bought neon and guppies on 4 different occasions with as many as 15 at once. Whenever I add them they will be fine for several days looking healthy and eating, then suddenly they start dying off one by one. I observed my last neon go from eating and swimming fine to swimming upside down breathing his last in under 30 minutes. Some last two weeks in the tank before 'IT' gets them.

There are no signs of attack ( no bites taken out of them, and fins are not nipped at), no visible discoloration or any other visible signs of disease. My other small fish are fine ( one catfish and the zebra danios are all the same size as the neons and guppies). Seems to be about 1 death per day when it is happening.

I am bewildered!

Is there anything obvious here I am forgetting?
Are there any requirements to conditions that are specific to guppies and neons that are different to my other fish?

Please help!

thanks for the pointer and I do feed my fish tubifex worms. It could be contaminated!

Tough the symptoms seem very different. They continue to eat and don't start swimming funny until minutes before death and there is no discoloration even after death. I used my microscope to look for parasites on the gils or mouth and found nothing.

Not trying to steel your thunder here, however if you read the thread "half my tank is dead", you will see I am going through the same ordeal except it is happening to all my species of fish and snail. I would go with the other contributor mentioned about the tetra disease, and I know that guppies have a disease of their own. I wish you luck and if you figure it out for sure, please let me know!!

Try changing a larger portion of water on a weekly basis- and be sure to add a dechlorinator.

At 10% every 2-3 weeks you are barely replenishing the water at all. Your original fish have gradually adapted to it, but any new fish won't be able to cope with the poor water quality.

Oh - you have to do more of a water change than that!! I have a 20 and do a 30% change every week!! There are more things that you are testing for that are in the water. Are you using a water dechlorinator? That won't show up in tests. Is the tank planted?
It is like us swimming in contaminated water. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom