Pale Platy Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfishee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I noticed one of my fry is extremely pale. He's very sluggish and he is the only pale fry. Yesterday, I lost a fry to something that looked like Popeye. His eye wasn't foggy or pale, but one was extremely large.

My tank is a few months old, but I have had quite a few issues. Right now, I am fighting a mild case of ich. I am treating it with heat, since I have fry and an AFD. The tank has been at 86 for three weeks.

I checked my water and it looks good. My ph is 6.8 which is odd, as I have been fighting acidity issues, since starting the tank. My ammonia was. 25, so I used Amquel plus ammonia detoxifier. All other parameters are normal, and read how they usually do. I performed a 25% water change two or three days ago.

Here is a photo of my pale one. There was another fry zipping around, so you can kind of get an idea of what he normally looks like.

Attachments

• 20141010_215120.jpg
    20141010_215120.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 67
I noticed one of my fry is extremely pale. He's very sluggish and he is the only pale fry. Yesterday, I lost a fry to something that looked like Popeye. His eye wasn't foggy or pale, but one was extremely large.

My tank is a few months old, but I have had quite a few issues. Right now, I am fighting a mild case of ich. I am treating it with heat, since I have fry and an AFD. The tank has been at 86 for three weeks.

I checked my water and it looks good. My ph is 6.8 which is odd, as I have been fighting acidity issues, since starting the tank. My ammonia was. 25, so I used Amquel plus ammonia detoxifier. All other parameters are normal, and read how they usually do. I performed a 25% water change two or three days ago.

Here is a photo of my pale one. There was another fry zipping around, so you can kind of get an idea of what he normally looks like.

My platy fry are a range of colors from very pale to dark. You should always use ammonia detox when doing water changes - pretreat the replacement water. It doesn't hurt to add straight to the tank either. I also use something to protect the slime coat after water changes like stress-zyme or something like that.

Maybe do a few water,changes until the ammonia goes down. Maybe 25% a day until things even out.

I keep my fry in a separate tank so they don't get eaten by bigger fish or the mother. Many keep them in the original tank because they want the other fish to thin the population (I just can't do it). I put a nylon over the intake valve of the filter so none gets sucked up. Also, fry need to be fed a few times a day at the beginning.

Bottom line, though, fry vary in color and some are stronger than others.

Back
Top Bottom