Partial water change done...unsure of result

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mylycanslove

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Fish at bottom of tank, breathing rapidly. HELP.

1~ Black Moor is sitting on the bottom of the tank breathing quickly. The other Black Moor is floating near the top, also with breathing difficulty.
2~ Unsure of tank parameters, other than temp, which is about 68/70 degrees.
3~ Tank is approx. 33 gallons and has been set up a little over a month, after a transfer to a bigger tank.
4~ 20-40 gallon Whisper filtration. Unsure of GPH.
5~ 2 Black Moors, approximately 6 inches each.
6~ 10 gallon water change done 2 days ago. Water is changed about once a month.
7~ I have had my Black Moors about 2 years.
8~ I added AlgaeFix when I changed the water.
9~ They are fed Wardley goldfish flakes and haven't had a diet change recently.

re #8, I added the AlgaeFix when I changed the water. In hindsight, I realise that I shouldn't add it on water change. Could this be the reason?

Last edited:
First things first, you need a proper liquid test kit asap! This honestly is not an option. Whatever good bacteria you may have had in this tank would have been killed by the algaefix. Its also a poison and your fish's behavior indicates that they have been affected.

Start by doing a 50%+ wc immediately. Temperature match and properly condition all new water. Wait an hour and do another 50%+wc. Then a third later on. Repeat again tomorrow. This will hopefully remove the larger portion of the chemicals.

As you are doing a fish-in cycle, you will need to test your water daily and likely need to to do water changes daily (50%+) though it will probably be more frequently as you have two 6in messy, messy fish in a 30g. Prime will be a big help here to limit their toxin exposure.

Once fully cycled (this will take 6-8wks or longer), you will still need to do 50%+wcs atleast 2x a week. They need some diet overhaul as in tossing the flakes and investing in a proper sinking pellet along with daily veggies. I will post some articles below with more information- please ask any questions!!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

would turning the heater on help to increase the amount of bacteria in the tank? i have to leave shortly and wont be back until tomorrow afternoon. so i am doing a water change now and will do 2 more tomorrow.

would turning the heater on help to increase the amount of bacteria in the tank? i have to leave shortly and wont be back until tomorrow afternoon. so i am doing a water change now and will do 2 more tomorrow.

As long as your temp is around 70f, your fine! Goldfish do not need tropical temps as they are cold water fish. Are they improving at all with wcs?

I'm not sure, as i have only been able to do one water change thus far,
Hopefully they are doing better.

Back
Top Bottom