Pearl Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beard514

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I added three Pearl Gourami to my tank one male and two female. My male chasses the females around until they find a hiding spot and the male looses track of them. This continues to happen until the male spots the female again. I'm thinking that the male wants to breed but the females don't want to. Any advise would be nice I am worried the females are getting too stressed out.

I added three Pearl Gourami to my tank one male and two female. My male chasses the females around until they find a hiding spot and the male looses track of them. This continues to happen until the male spots the female again. I'm thinking that the male wants to breed but the females don't want to. Any advise would be nice I am worried the females are getting too stressed out.

How big is the tank, what else is in it, and how is the tank set up? I've kept pearl gouramis before but just in pairs. Sometimes, when they aren't paired up, the male will indeed relentlessly chase the female around. Keep an eye on it and see if they eventually get together. If not, try switching out for a different male. Regardless, what will happen once 2 of them pair off is that they will both chase the third. So try just keeping a pair.

It is a 55g 8 neon tetras, 7rummy nose, 5 hatchets, 3 cory, and the 3 gourami. The two females are pairing in the same hiding spot while the male runs all around the tank and I just noticed a bubble nest on the side he stays on.

It is a 55g 8 neon tetras, 7rummy nose, 5 hatchets, 3 cory, and the 3 gourami. The two females are pairing in the same hiding spot while the male runs all around the tank and I just noticed a bubble nest on the side he stays on.

You should add at least 3 more corys. They like big groups.
Keep an eye on the gouramis. Clearly the male is trying to get a girlfriend and he's angry they are refusing his advances.

I've had lots of experience with pearls and IMO if males don't get their way with the females they tend to constantly pester the females. Give them some more time but not much because pearls aren't tough fish so they can't take too much abuse. If in let's say four or five days he doesn't calm down then I would consider removing the male and finding another.

Back
Top Bottom