Picky betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfur

Aquarium Advice Addict
Suggestions for enticing a very picky Orange Polka Dot HM to eat more ? He seems to prefer live food to dry, and I'm culturing wingless fruit flies & bean weevils, and will soon have micro worms. He has eaten both flies and weevils but where his other Betta pals would eat a dozen flies, he might eat three. Or he might not eat any on a given day.

I've tried frozen bloodworm and daphnia too. He ignores most food items, though if they are moving, he shows a bit more interest. I adopted him with another pair, all had recovered from fin rot, and this one, Mr. Picky, actually appears as if he's growing some new fin tissues. But he eats so little, it is worrying. I'm willing to try anything I can get.

I keep each Betta in a 2.5G. There are sight blocking screens so they can't see each other unless I move the screen for awhile. I do partial WC at least twice a week, but at this time, no filtration. I'm considering setting up mild filtration, which I used for former Bettas.

I use some high quality sea salt, roughly a fat pinch to 2.5 G, and add more fresh almond leaves every couple of weeks. I remove the older almond leaves and drop them into the shrimp tank. Live plants grow in each tank too; anubias, java or other mosses and a few stems of one of the hygros with big lacy leaves. They help consume nitrates and provide resting places near the surface as well.

Mr. Picky builds the most elaborate bubble nests I've ever seen, though not too often. He has truly lovely markings and I wish I could get him to eat more. I think his fins would grow back better if only he ate better. Suggestions welcome.

Have you tried buying black worms? I get them live from the pet store. Fish just love them! Unfortunately I don't know their scientific name. I don't have any other tips or tricks. Sorry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My LFS has them, but is often out. Someone local buys most of them when they come in, so I have to be there on the right day at the right time to get them. I want to try them, just in case they do appeal to him.

Well the LFS needs to order more worms then!! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom