Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can you give us some more information?
What size is your tank, is it heated/filtered, is he eating, are there any behavioural changes, any physical changes, is he quite active, how often do you do water changes, is your tank cycled, does he get along with all tank mates, etc.

My tank is 75L (20 US Gallon) tank is heaed and filtered, he is eating, no real behavioural changes, physical changes are white patches on his body, he used to be solid orange [emoji20] tank is cycled, his only tank mates are 3 other platies, 2 dwarf gouramis and a female paradise fish, i have never seen any aggression in the tank

Do the white patches look fuzzy or like a kind of growth? If not, it may just be that your fish is changing colour. Most fish do this as they start to get older.
For example, my Black Moor goldfish is starting to turn bronze in the stomach/gills region.

Is this fish dead now? I agree with CB. Overall in a massive noob but when it comes to columnaris we've had it 2x when I was a teenager in my dads tanks. One time everything just died without much warning over course of a week.. Other time they looked like this.

I suppose if fish is still happy and doing well Its a lot less likely to be columnaris :-D

Sorry, i hadnt seen these replies haha, no the fish is not dead, i went to my LFS and bought some bacterial infection treatment! He has not changed in appearance but he still eats and swims around as normal,

What are the active ingredients?
Your other fish are infected for what it is worth since they share the tank.
This could easily have been brought out by stress .
2 dwarfs and a pradise fish in a 20 are trouble IMO.
The dwarf gouirami is the industries best way to STEAL everyone new in the hobbies money ..It is a poor,poor choice and majorly infested with DGI..WAY over 50% of ALL stock I believe last test indicated...If you properly chose this fish with information from research you would have got only one and NEVER added the paradise fish .
That is like having 3 male bettas in the same tank....

Well everyone in the tank seems healthy at the moment (apart from the platy) so I've got my fingers crossed, and i don't think having two dwarf gourami and a female paradise is exactly comparable to having 3 male bettas haha but thats just me

I think DG are beautiful creatures, as long as you choose wisely there is no reason to worry

You need to read a little more on gouramis/paradise fish in general.
Then look into DGI [the disease they named for the fish that harbors it].
They call Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus for some reason ? It effects gouramis mostly.
Dwarf Gourami Iridovirus | FreshAquaria
The 3 fish together are not compatible. It is not an arguable point. You may like them ,but one male DG will kill the other and who knows with paradise fish...BOTH are very closely related to bettas so I did not make the reference off handedly...

I appreciate your advice (despite the mild condescension [emoji13]) however i have to disagree with you 'non arguable point'. Everything is fine in this tank, there is 0 aggression, do you have any advise on my platy or not?

Well for now close observation and clean water and be prepared to use antibiotics if needed.

As for the non compatible fish... They might be ok for a time but I do think that eventually you could come downstairs one morning to find one had been attacked or that they were sick because they were bothering each other at night. I just think keep a close eye

:)

Sent from my LG-K350 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Really would shift to a hospital tank. Waterlife products are generally using the dyes / acriflavin and not antibiotics so I would remove infected fish to a hospital tank just in case doesn't make it.

Back
Top Bottom