platy poop question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cougargirl50

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Im new to this site, and in another post I will tell you all about my 20 gallon tank I promis but I have a problem.

I was just down at my aquarium looking at my fish and I happen to take notice that the poop on my one platy is clear they look like connected bubbles, i know this is going to sound stupid but is this normal or what does it come from.
I think I read something about this before but i'm not sure, could it be some kind of internal parasite or something?
If it is what do I do to treat her and can I treat with the other fish in the tank also, cause I really don't have anything else that I can put her in.
Depending on what it is and there is something I cant treat them with would it be good to treat the others just in case they may have it, I'm starting to have the platys popping out baby's a good bit now and I don't want them to have it.

Can someone please help??

:multi: :smilecolros: :onfire: :multi: :onfire: WELCOME TO AA :multi: :smilecolros: :onfire: :multi: :onfire:

IT could be a parasite but I am unsure what. It coul also be breaking wind? Get some aquarium salt in the meantime and add it to your water. IF possible, also raise the temp a little bit

I always have aquarium salt in my water and my water is at 78 degrees. Should I raise it more than that????

1-2 degrees per hour should suffice, though I typically try and change 1-2 degrees in no less than 4 hours (but that's because I deal with cold water fish).

You may have internal parasites. Normally, parasites are noted by white, stringy poop. HOWEVER, I have also seen this bubble-type poop in a fish of mine that just got over a nasty parasite. It seemed that it was in the later stages of the disease (he's fine now), but don't quote me directly on it as it could be a first sign.

What other fish do you have in your tank? You could go buy some Jungle anti-parasitic medicated food and give it a shot. It's one that can be used as "prevenative medicine", if you're not too sure.

Back
Top Bottom