Platy swimming very erratically?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had this platy for about 3 months, and until today he had no problems. But when I went to check on them this morning I thought he was dead since he was hanging upside down in the java moss. But when I went to net him, he wriggled away. He still is able to swim but never the right way, he has a hard time getting to the surface or even being upright. He just lays on the bottom in weird angles. It is very scary. Is there anything I can do?

20g
4 platies, 6pygmy cories
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 ish

I've had this platy for about 3 months, and until today he had no problems. But when I went to check on them this morning I thought he was dead since he was hanging upside down in the java moss. But when I went to net him, he wriggled away. He still is able to swim but never the right way, he has a hard time getting to the surface or even being upright. He just lays on the bottom in weird angles. It is very scary. Is there anything I can do?

20g
4 platies, 6pygmy cories
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10 ish
If he is swimming upside down or laying upside down almost he most likely has swim bladder. There is really nothing you can do as far as i read, mine just had this and passed shortly after... The good news is that it is not contagious! Sorry, dont hold me to this its just a guess! Maybe you could uplaod pictures ?

I was thinking it might be swim bladder. Im not sure how though... His stomach isn't distended and he isn't constipated or anything. He's just wedging himself upside down between rocks at the moment.

I was thinking it might be swim bladder. Im not sure how though... His stomach isn't distended and he isn't constipated or anything. He's just wedging himself upside down between rocks at the moment.
Exactly what happened to mine and she died shortly afterward. swim bladder can be caused when they go to eat food from the surface and take in air also, so ive read. Very sorry.

So all day today he's stayed in the same place and hasn't moved. He just lies on the bottom and looks dead unless you look closely at his gills. I tried to lift him to the surface to see if would eat but he just kind of twitched as he floated back down. It's really depressing to watch, if anyone has any ideas of what might help him...

So all day today he's stayed in the same place and hasn't moved. He just lies on the bottom and looks dead unless you look closely at his gills. I tried to lift him to the surface to see if would eat but he just kind of twitched as he floated back down. It's really depressing to watch, if anyone has any ideas of what might help him...
you can try feeding a skinned pea but I don't know if anything will help him I'm very sorry

There's not much. Salt bath would stress him out too much. Peas could help but if he's not eating it's not going to. Just keep an eye on him. A dead fish can cause a big ammonia spike.

Sorry, same thing happened with my balloon mollies.

Thank you for the advice :) he died the other day but I'll keep it in mind in case this ever happens again :(

Thank you for the advice :) he died the other day but I'll keep it in mind in case this ever happens again :(
Yeah its pretty crappy, sorry for your loss. In some good news, I have bred my platies like 4/5 generations and only one has ever had this happen as far as i know! So hopefully any future endevours will be good!

Back
Top Bottom