Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish204

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm totally new to this site. But in need of an explanation. I have a 20 gallon tank which has a filter. I let the tank run for about a week before putting fish in. I conditioned the water and checked the levels and they read that they were good. I purchased two Goldie's. One fancy and one single. Beautiful fish. Everything was going well. Until about the 3rd day i realized one of them was spitting up his food. I decided to keep an eye on him as the other one was doing fine. The next day he still was spitting up his food. But now instead of his bowels being the colour of his food they are stringy and white. I'm worried about the little guy and don't know what to do at this point. Any ideas?

I'm totally new to this site. But in need of an explanation. I have a 20 gallon tank which has a filter. I let the tank run for about a week before putting fish in. I conditioned the water and checked the levels and they read that they were good. I purchased two Goldie's. One fancy and one single. Beautiful fish. Everything was going well. Until about the 3rd day i realized one of them was spitting up his food. I decided to keep an eye on him as the other one was doing fine. The next day he still was spitting up his food. But now instead of his bowels being the colour of his food they are stringy and white. I'm worried about the little guy and don't know what to do at this point. Any ideas?
Are you feeding them pellets? Fish, as far as I know, will eat their food and spit it out and eat it again until the food becomes soft enough. All of my fish spit out their pellets until the pellets become soft enough and then they eat them. Also, if you take the poop outside of your tank it should be brown. Its the light that makes it look white. I made that mistake myself. I thought they had worms or something then I scooped it out with my net and it was brown. Try that!

Test your water daily.
Your tank is Not cycled. You are now doing what we call a Fish In - Cycle. Your Ammonia can climb to dangerous levels quickly. If you don't have one try to buy an API master water testing kit. I believe they run around $22 on Amazon.

Typically I find it's better to have fancies with other fancies as the common goldfish outgrow and outcompete them for food.

For now do not feed any floating food. It is dangerous for the fancy. If the food you have is flake or floating pellets presoak until they do not float anymore and then you can feed them safely.

1x Weekly you can feed frozen, thawed, skinned, green peas (halves). Squish them a little bit if the fish are small.

Goldfish also like fresh , rinsed organic greens such as zucchini and pieces of Romaine. You can use a veggie clip or weight down the piece with a rock. You can blanch them or just let them stay in the tank and soften.

With GF in a new tank I'd get a siphon as you'll be doing a lot of water changes.

Clean water is the best preventative [emoji1360][emoji1360]

Spitting and chewing food is normal. Stringy white poop can mean some things, but go slow throwing in meds.
Try peas for constipation first.

SolidGold on YouTube has excellent GF advice. She breeds fancies.

Enjoy your tank. You will need to upgrade as your GF will outgrow a 20g.
But for now it's fine [emoji2]

Welcome [emoji1360][emoji226][emoji226]

Back
Top Bottom