Please Help! My Angelfish is in trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shippo91

Aquarium Advice Newbie
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
- I have an Angelfish- Silver and Black, he is 5 1/2 inches by 4inches. A couple of days ago I noticed he wasn't swimming right, he has progressively gotten worse. I did a water change and fed him peas. He is swimming either sideways or upside at the top of the tank. He now has what looks like a pinky red rash on either side of his mid section and bulges a little...I have attached a picture.
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
-ammonia 0, nitrates 0 nitrites 0, Temperature 82, PH 6.5
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
- The tank is 36 gallons, its has been up 9 months
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
I am using Marineland bio filter
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
- I only have two angels. The one that is sick he is 5 1/2 by 4, and the other (who is healthy and doing fine) is about 4 and half inches
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
-Last night, I did a 50% water change and cleaning( I thought that he might be suffering from ammonia poisoning). I usually clean the tank once a week with a 25% Water change.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
- I have had the fish for 2 years. I am his 3rd owner, so, I do not know how old he really is.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.?
- nothing new has been added. I did remove some décor for him to have more room to swim. I just started using Seachem Prime last night as a conditioner
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?
Cichlid flakes with colour enhancing by top fin and Hikari Frozen Blood worms. Recently been feeding the sick one blanched peas.

Please help me. I have done everything that I can think of. He is a really amazing fish and he has been fighting for his life for 5 days now. If there is anything else that I can do, please let me know...I have also added aquarium salt... Any idea's on what is wrong with him? I am considering euthanizing him, I don't want him to suffer. You guys are my last hope.

Thanks so much

Attachments

• grmpy.jpg
    grmpy.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 275
I can't identify the problem 100% but he definitely has something serious going on inside him. Most likely its a parasite, but the pink patch on his side is not normal at all.... I wish I could help more.. I love my angel and wish I could help you more ?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Depending on how much your willing to spend I would go to your LFS and look for some medication, he looks to have a bacterial parasite or fungi, as for the medication there's some stronger stuff that might dye your tank and some cheaper herbal medications, on of my angels has what looks like a red puss by her fins, I'm using the herbal medication and the redness is reducing. Hope this helps, good luck (ps read the instructions on the bottle some help for more than one sickness so look for those to help ?)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nitrates at 0 looks a little odd - is this correct? Also did it start after decor was shifted around.

Treatment - suspect bacterial so antibiotics - treat with furan 2 or say maracyn plus

I look at the wound a little different than others I guess. My guess.. A burn from the heater or cut himself on a piece of decor.

Caleb

Wound looks like possibly cause from a lot of flashing on some driftwood or decor

Nitrates at 0 looks a little odd - is this correct? Also did it start after decor was shifted around.

Treatment - suspect bacterial so antibiotics - treat with furan 2 or say maracyn plus

Yes Nitrates are in the "safe" of the test strip. 20ppm or less. I removed the décor after I saw that he was sick. I have been adding Melafix to the tank

I look at the wound a little different than others I guess. My guess.. A burn from the heater or cut himself on a piece of decor.

Caleb

Others have thought so too. I have added in Melafix and some aquarium salt to help him heal. he seems a lot better as he is squirting water at me. He is also trying to swim upright. The swelling has gone down. He is bent in a U shape currently, but I am hopeful that he will recover(y)

Is there anything you can think of that I can do to help him?

I've copied this from first post above. Did you mean on both sides of fish or just down one side?

"He now has what looks like a pinky red rash on either side of his mid section and bulges a little"

Yes Nitrates are in the "safe" of the test strip. 20ppm or less. I removed the décor after I saw that he was sick. I have been adding Melafix to the tank

If it is cardboard strips type of test(?) they will often be incorrect or less reliable compared to a liquid based test kit.

I've copied this from first post above. Did you mean on both sides of fish or just down one side?

"He now has what looks like a pinky red rash on either side of his mid section and bulges a little"

Hi, it was located on both sides. The Picture of the worst side, this side is where he bent. The other side is smaller and less red. Currently it is healing no longer discoloured and no longer bulging. At first I thought that he may have swim bladder. I have been force feeding him peas all week...but then this rash thingy started...

Hmm, it would be good to have water chemistry confirmed with a liquid based test kit rather than strips if you have any of these test kits?

Hmm, it would be good to have water chemistry confirmed with a liquid based test kit rather than strips if you have any of these test kits?

Yes, I purchased a API Master Kit this morning. I will test it tonight after work.

25% water change a week on a 36 gallon tank with 2 good sized angel fish in it, is where your problem is coming from. Do at least 50% a week, probably more is needed, but the liquid test kit will help determine that. Don't forget to shake and beat bottle #2 of the nitrate test like it owes you money..., the particles settle and stick to the bottom and give a false low reading when this happens.

Yes, I purchased a API Master Kit this morning. I will test it tonight after work.

Would be good to check.

So anything looking possible as cause - would be good to prevent again.

Heater burn - have they been hanging around heater? Spawning??

Decor scrapes - could of gotten wedged? Flashing?

Bacterial - any change in shape or healing nicely?

Ammonia - ammonia could have fallen by now so check if nitrites or nitrates are elevated as well.

Edit - is the u shape getting any better? With the peas was he eating them and pooping ok?

Last edited:
Update on Grumpy

Hi, how is it going any improvement?

Hi

I am so sorry to report, I decided to euthanize Grumpy last night.:bawl: It was a very tough decision and even harder to do. Grumpy couldn't eat on his own, and he couldn't swim properly. The side of him that wasn't working began to deteriorate and rot. Instead of him suffering, I decided that it was time, though I am still struggling about whether or not I made the right decision...

I used the API Master Kit and my water conditions were fine. I also took a sample to my local pet store and they said the same thing (I was worried about the other Angel). I have no idea what happened with Grumpy? I thinking maybe a stroke?

Thank you very much for all of your help. I really appreciated it!:thanks:

That is sad news :(

My money isn't on a stroke. Good on the water test results.

You could check decor / heater against the position and angle of the red areas to see if it had lined up to cause an injury from eg repeated flashing or getting stuck or burnt. Heater guards can be purchased if you wish.

My money is still on bacterial. Possibly internal that worked its way out to show externally.

Hopefully a one off anyways but can only suggest keeping a close eye on the rest of the fish.

Im so sorry to hear that ? im thinking it was bacterial also and at that advanced stage you made the right decision. Especially if he didn't improve, its better and more humane. Im sorry for your loss

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom