Please help my bettas sick.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

byrdman81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm not sure whats wrong with my betta.
I have had him close to 2 1/2 years and he has been great.

Just yesterday I noticed him just kinda floating around the tank in a circle with the current, I checked him out and he is alive and eating but seems to have no strength to swim.

He is in a 10 gal tank with 2 zebra danios, an angel fish, a african dwarf frog and a pleco.

I have placed him in a small goldfish bowl for now and he seems to be doing better as far as staying straight instead of on his side.

Please tell me how to help him, i'm so worried and don't know what to do.

I'm watching him close now and he's trying really hard but just keeps floating on his side. My wife seems to think it's his swim bladder or maybe he's just old and dying. But I just want to know if there is any way to help him.

He could just be nearing his time...sadly. 2 1/2 years, after it was probably a year or two when you got it... You didn't just recently add any fish to the tank, did you? If it seems to be acting better in the bowl...he could be getting bothered by another fish...

Chances are though, if he is floating on his side, he is just nearing his time to pass, in my opinion.

Good luck with your betta Byrdman :|

Thanks for the reply. Not what I wanted to hear.
No new fish but my tank has been really cloudy for the past week even after 25% water change and new filter.

He's really trying and putting up a fight , I know he's not ready to go. I know I'm not ready to lose him, after nearly 3 years i've reallygrown to love him. :(

Anything else you can think of please let me know.

No new fish but my tank has been really cloudy for the past week even after 25% water change and new filter.

What are your water parameters (nitrates, nitrites, ammonia, etc.)? It's never good to completely change out a filter cartridge, unless you seed it with some bacteria first...

Test your water as soon as you can, and let us know..this could be his problem. Is your tank completley cycled?

Hope it pulls through...

Back
Top Bottom