PLEASE HELP my sick oto cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aysvin

Aquarium Advice Activist
I started out with 3 otos, Auto, Bertie, and Bots, but a few days ago Auto died. Here's how he looked:

tumblr_inline_mpcg05ilm61qz4rgp.png

He had these red marks at the base of all of his fins. He couldn't swim and only laid on his side until he died.

Now one of the other two has a small red patch at the base of one of its fins. I was never able to find out what was wrong.

DOES ANYONE KNOW?

If so: is it contagious? Is it too late? How do I treat it?

I'm not sure, it could be fin rot or it could be a bacterial infection

The fin doesn't get damaged, it's just the red spots.

I should probably go put the sick on in the Qt. I guess I didn't wash the tank well enough. I thought I did 8(

Here are some pics I got of the two now. Are their gills inflamed?

If anyone has advice please tell me?

Attachments

• image-456873837.jpg
    image-456873837.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 48
  • image-4018404833.jpg
    image-4018404833.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 52
  • image-904371514.jpg
    image-904371514.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 48
Man it's hard to tell, it could be ammonia poisoning if the tank isn't cycled well

Do you know how long it takes the poisoning to set in? They've been in this tank for about 20 days and I lost the first one maybe 3 days ago. I got them before I knew how fragile they are and my tank wasn't cycled. Yesterday it read at .25 and I know it's been higher than that. Right now they're in pretty much clean water. I did a 100% change yesterday after I checked the ammonia.

I guess I should try to do 50% a day just to be sure...

Yea do a water change

And maybe he died because his gills were too bad, but the others might be ok

Yea do a water change

And maybe he died because his gills were too bad, but the others might be ok

Alright...50% tonight and 50% if the ammonia ever gets above .25.

What's made me stop keeping track of all of this is that my parents keep complaining about how often I change the water. Again, and again, and again. We currently have a 45 gallon starting up and they won't listen to me when I say the water needs to be partially changed every few days. 8(

Back
Top Bottom