Pleco help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erin Sarah

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a pleco in my tank which seems to get lighter patches on him, after a da or so he will look dark again and normal. Can anyone tell me what our be causing it.

What pleco is it? What colour gravel/sand do you have? I have a leopard sailfin pleco that does the same, it's nothing to worry about they change colour to help blend to there environment :) if you have a picture it would help to confirm it but I am sure it's this.

It is just a bristle nose and my gravel is light coloured, but with dark gravel as well mixed through. Could it be the lights I'm using. And how quickly can they change colour

Not sure if bristle nose pleco's do this but I know sf and common ones do, and pretty instantly mine changes when he is on the big wood or the sand. Are the patches even or blotted? Are they all over?

No the are big patches over his body, it seems very healthy and happy, could he light do it to him

I have a common pleco which also does this, he always has done and seems to be healthy enough (judging by the fact he has grown considerably in the time I have had him). Although he is not a bristlenose.

Yeah well mine was small when I got him and now he is about medium size starting to get him bristle, so you think it could be him growing

Although I'm not the most experienced they seem to want to blend into their surroundings so as long as he is eating normally I wouldn't worry.

Thank you so much for your help, he is eating a lot. He will even take on my anglefish for a bloodworm I didn't think they would eat that

Just read up about this and yea it's common for most plecs depending on mood and surrounding so he is fine :)

Haha mine can get fairly flustered during feeding time too, he is by far the biggest in the tank so everyone including my four angels stay well out of his way when the food goes in.

Yeah my angels are a lot bigger then him, he just won't let anyone get to any food that touches the ground. Also do you know if he will be aggressive when I add another pleco, I added a zebra pleco a while ago and it seemed like he bullied her until she died

I think they can be towards anything competing for food. I used to have three parrot cichlids which were huge but he pestered them during feeding time. He is very placid at any other time. Someone who keeps more than one would be better to ask I think. Here he is lounging on top of an ornament.

ForumRunner_20120708_135427.jpg

Unfortunately many plecos are aggressive towards each other :(, some maybe ok together but I would research before buying any.

Back
Top Bottom