Problem with balloon molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I have a male balloon molly in my three gallon tank that's been acting kind of funny lately. I've had him since last April so I know it's not from the pet store. He is pretty much all black except a few spots, and a few weeks ago I noticed a weird sort of orange coloring on the edge of his top fin. At first I thought it was fin rot and, since I was treating another fish for that, I treated him too. It cured the other fish, but he still has the weird coloring. So maybe that's nothing but he's also developed a weird white spot on the area of his top fin that connects the fin to the body. Every once and a while when I look over at him, he'll have his fins pressed to his body and he'll be having a sort of spasm; moving from side to side. Otherwise he's acting fine, he can still swim normally and eats his normal amount. Please help!

I'm not an expert by a long way so this may be wrong,
If they are more spot like or rounded it may be velvet
An ideal thing to get is a fish disease booklet I don't know whether your US or UK. But I'm UK and at pets at home they have free fish disease leaflets that give all illnesses and are great to look at if concerned

But sorry I went a bit off track there. It could also be a patterning he's getting as he gets older

You also said white spot which will probably be the illness WHITE SPOT! (what a great name!?) these are minute parasites that won't kill but will spread dramatically there are also agony for the fish.
How has you water been lately? If its been off that will almost deficiently be white spot.
I had the same issue a couple of weeks back

You also said white spot which will probably be the illness WHITE SPOT! (what a great name!?) these are minute parasites that won't kill but will spread dramatically there are also agony for the fish.
How has you water been lately? If its been off that will almost deficiently be white spot.
I had the same issue a couple of weeks back

White spot is Ich, and I've seen several on here lose fish to Ich. If its his natural color, then it's nothing to worry about. A picture of him would help us greatly in diagnosing him.

Have you changed anything in the tank recently (filter, new fish, plants, etc)? Tank mates? What is the ammonia, nitrate, nitrate and pH of the tank? What your water change schedule? Can you post a picture if the fish? I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that's its ich (aka white spot) yet. We need some more info to be able to give a proper diagnosis.

White spot is Ich, and I've seen several on here lose fish to Ich. If its his natural color, then it's nothing to worry about. A picture of him would help us greatly in diagnosing him.

Actually in the UK we name it white spot
There parasites so unless they eat the fish away which would take forever because they're minute
Or drive them to extreme stress I don't see how as it's an external infection. when they release of the fishes body does it cause an ammonia spike or internal infection or something

Actually in the UK we name it white spot
There parasites so unless they eat the fish away which would take forever because they're minute
Or drive them to extreme stress I don't see how as it's an external infection. when they release of the fishes body does it cause an ammonia spike or internal infection or something

They latch back on. I think when they're off they multiply, but I'll have to double check that part. Ich is nasty and a pain. A lot of people lose at least one of their fish when an ich breakout occurs.

They latch back on. I think when they're off they multiply, but I'll have to double check that part. Ich is nasty and a pain. A lot of people lose at least one of their fish when an ich breakout occurs.

I must have been lucky I had this situation a while a go and didn't lose any
They multiply unpleasantly apparently one you have got one or two soon you will find hundreds of free swimming parasites... That's ain't good!

Facts and treatment for ich:

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ich2.php

I think you both need to give this a read.
Ich can in fact kill a fish. It can infest the gills and cause the fish to suffocate, cause bacterial infections where the parasite leaves the body or cause extreme stress which is deadly to fish.

Until we hear back from the OP, we don't know what they are dealing with so let's leave the ich conversation for if or when it might be needed.

Last edited:
Sorry, I wanted to reply earlier but I realized that I'd run out of testing equipment and I didn't want to post again till I'd gotten the water parameters. The nitrate level is 0 ppm, pH is 6.6 and ammonia is 0.25 ppm. It's definitely not ich because it's just one large white spot... maybe it's fungus but I'm not really sure. Sorry for the bad pic but it's hard to get one without him moving. Oh and he's all alone in the tank so I think it's big enough.

Attachments

• Lucky.jpg
    Lucky.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 47
He doesn't usually scratch up against stuff, he just stays where he is. But I just discovered that his thermometer had become unplugged and the water is about ten degrees colder than normal :facepalm: (but still around 70 degrees Farenheit), think that could be causing something?

Yeah it does look a little dusty... and if I look really closely, it looks like theres a hole in the middle of the fin right where it meets his body... maybe I should try treating him again?

Oooh... yeah it's bad. It's especially all over his eyes and gills. Is there anything I can do? I really don't want him to die I've had him since last April

Oooh... yeah it's bad. It's especially all over his eyes and gills. Is there anything I can do? I really don't want him to die I've had him since last April

That would be velvet. Annoying parasite. You'll have to get antiparasitic meds and treat it. Mine is Parashield, but my betta with velvet was a really young guy and didn't take it well. I think more because I didn't pay attention enough. You'll have to take the carbon out of the filter to treat.

Okay thanks so much for all your help. I'll run to the store tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom