problem with male guppies dying in a planted tank no known reason

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bella6

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys

I have a 36 Gallon Bowfront Tank
Running Aqueon 30 Quietflow Filter with stock filter options
stock heater set to 78 F
Fluval 206 Canister filter filled solely with Biomax media

I have 4 java ferns, 4 Amazon swords, 3 anubias plants, 2 moss balls and 2 silk plants and some decorations with natural smooth gravel in the tanks

I started with 6 store bought male guppies and put them in (after acclimatizing them) running the tank for 24 hours beforehand, used the dechlorinators and such, tested the water it seemed fine. I was going to go on vacation on day 5, so I did a 50 percent water change and dechlorinated it in the buckets before adding it to the tank and came back 9 days later to 3 dead guppies floating and 3 alive guppies.

Tested the water and the levels were high in everything so I freaked out and did a 50% water change and removed the dead fish. Tested the levels again and they were still high so changed more of the water and then out of the 3 guppies living 1 died each day for the next 3 days.

I ordered some fancy guppies from a breeder (6 males about 3 months old) and went to the store and bought 2 more male guppies. Acclimatized them over 2 hours and let them out. I added some tetra safe start the night after as I wasn't getting any readings spiking of anything. They all seemed fine for 5 days. Then one of the store bought ones got a chunk missing from it's tail, he didn't have any obvious spots or signs of disease I could tell and then he died in 2 days. His buddy the same kind did not have a rip in his tail and then he all of a sudden died. One of the fancy guppies i bought from a breeder got a little tear at the end of his tail that was thin and he could still swim fine, but then he died.

So now I have 5 male guppies left and I think another is going to die because he's hanging out at the bottom of the tank and laying on the gravel day and night and not swimming.

Previously half the fish that died would hide in the caves and stick to the bottoms of the tank for a few days before dying.

The temp is 78 F, I check every day and it shows 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate. The Ph is 7.4-7.6 depending which test I do and I don't see any of them biting each others tails, nor running into anything to hurt them. But then some are dying when their tails are perfectly fine so I'm super frustrated and don't know what else to do. I worried the big water changes killed the last 6, so I haven't done a water change this time since adding the fish and the safe start, as everything tests at 0 all the time for the past 2 weeks.

It's been running for over a month now.

I am also wondering if it's bad to have 2 filters in the tank? The canister filter I had on the left side of the tank blowing across the tank lengthwise and set to the middle set of jets on one side of the tank and the aqueon filter is on the right side of the tank but facing front and only disturbing the water in a small area. Is this filtration and set up creating too much water disturbance for the guppies?

What I find weird is they look ok, nothing looks wrong, and then i notice that one will look like it's going crazy swimming frantically to all corners of the tanks and it goes by the filters and swims into the current and all over, and then as it gets weaker it just starts to stop swimming as much and float and sink falling onto the plants or gravel and at that point it either hides in the cave or just lays on the gravel and dies. Can they die from stress from the filter jets?

I changed the setting so the canister filter is now just spraying from the top jet near the top of the water surface and tried to dial it back so it's pretty low. Normal seems to have a pretty intense jet stream when it's all focused on the top or bottom jet.

Sorry about the loss of the guppies.
You mentioned that the levels were high in the first post. Which parameters are you referring to and what were the measurements of each? I do find it odd that you are reading 0/0/0 at this stage, especially after getting high values early on. Something is not adding up.
Two filters are not bad. The resulting current might be. Fancy guppies are not the best swimmers; perhaps adjusting the flow direction to minimize current will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The only time i've had readings was when i went on vacation and came back to find 3/6 initial guppies dead and the readings were the darkest colours on each of the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests, so i freaked out and changed the water right away. And then those 3 slowly died. I got 8 more guppies and now i'm down to 3 and the readings have all been at 0 every day and I use the API dropper kit.

I changed the current on the canister filter to as low as i could and switched it to the surface valve, it was going out the middle straight across the length of the tank before. It's now on the back wall facing forward, so i don't know if having a lower current will make a difference. I got some female guppies today and will see if that makes a difference, i just don't know what stressed them out so they would die this time. Last time obviously the levels got high and then a water change can cause it, but it's just weird. No visible signs of disease at all.

Since the tank is not cycled, adding more fish is not usually a good thing unless you are keeping up with water changes.

Since the tank is not cycled, adding more fish is not usually a good thing unless you are keeping up with water changes.

As I have mentioned, I used tetra safe start and it said NOT to do water changes for 1-2 weeks at least after adding it. I have not had any readings above 0 for ammonia or nitrite or nitrate in over 2 weeks. I explained I had a planted tank and was reading that the plants can already assist in the nitrogen cycle and maybe that's why nothing is rising at all.

And I hardly think a 36 gallon tank is going to start cycling, if it already hasn't with only 3 little guppies it won't make much difference to the ammonia levels if there's less than there have been. I did a 20% water change today and vacuumed the gravel anyway before adding some more guppies.

It doesn't make sense to me that guppies could die from ammonia and blaming an unicycled tank when the ones that have died recently did not experience any water with even noticeable levels of ammonia in it. That's why I was asking here.

Back
Top Bottom