Problems with new tank and fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnathan1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just set up a 20 gallon tank, with an on the side filter...I put in two Tiger Barbs, two spotted puffers, tow Goldfish, and one small Plecostamus. The first day, my aunt seemed to think that they might have "fin rot" as in they came that way from the store...so I treated them with tetracycline almost immediately. About a week went by, and everything was okay, except for the water being cloudy. Then I noticed that one of the puffers is extremely aggressive, and before I could do anything about it, he had nips the fins completely off the plecostamus, and rendered it unable to swim. It died about two days later. :(

A couple days went by, and the fish started acting strangely, and sitting on the bottom of the tank. They also had what looked like a white film over their bodies, and the water in the tank seems to have a deep reddish hue to it. Shortly after this, the larger puffer of the two (the aggressive one) decided to kill and halfway eat both Tiger barbs...which were also showing signs of this whitish film on their skin. I removed the goldfish. The smaller puffer looks like it's about to die. The aggressive puffer that killed three fish is the only one that remains, and he actually seems to be doing well surprisingly.

I had the water tested, and they said that all parameters looked fine, except that the water was a bit on the hard side. I have been doing partial water changed every other day, and have added aquarium salt to try and keep stress levels down I guess. What would the be the best thing to do, and why is my water red??

Hm ok. Here's my guess.

You said you just set the tank up, but the fish store said your water was fine.

1) How long is "just set up"?

I ask because you could be in the tank cycle and that's why the fish aren't doing so good.

Water levels will appear normal then you will start getting spikes.

2) How soon after set up was the water tested?

Now on to the fish behavior.

Barbs and puffers can be very aggressive fish. Puffers are best (but not always) kept to themselves or with fish larger than they are.

The same with Tiger barbs. They like to school so it's best to keep them in groups.

I've never been a big fan of either, but friends that have had both types of fish recommend barbs with other barbs, sharks, corys, giant danios and some of the larger tetras like congos or buenos aries.

Just remember some of those barbs can get to be big, tinfoil barbs can get to be about 8 inches or larger.

How big was the pleco? Most plecos can stand quite a bit of abuse from their tank mates. Ours is about 6 inches now and he swats the cichlids with his tail if they bug him. If yours was only about 2 inches, that could very well have been the issue. Without knowing fish size, it's hard to really say.

Goldfish: No idea. I only have them in the pond so no clue on having them in a tank other than I won't do it.

Puffers are best by themselves. They will often terrorize anything else in with them.
As for water parameters you are better off testing the water yourself so you can see what it is doing. You can watch for the spikes of ammonia yourself. Every tank goes through the cycle even if the fish store says it is fine you still need to know what the levels are.

How much salt are you adding?

Look like my last remaining fish has "ich". I took a photo of the last remaining spotted puffer. He seems to still be swimming around and being lively, but he spends quite a bit of time sitting on the bottom of the tank as well...I've been treating the tank with Lifeguard tablets for the last two days and have yet to see an improvement...I'm a total beginner with aquariums...will this fish make it?

Here is the photo:

You can also see the redness of the water in this photo

img_998149_0_0a20f1f4c8ac07b794cfabf4ee8713f1.jpg

It does look like ich.
Personally what I would do in your situation is daily water changes(50%)....get that temp up by 1 degree per hour until you get it up to 86 F degrees. Then keep that temp up there for a couple of weeks.

In the mean time do not add any new fish as they will become infected. I would also stop all medicines you are using. Salt can also be used at the rate of 1 teaspoon per gallon (dissolved in water before added to tank) but don't use this dosage more than three times. Then let the salt level slowly be diluted with the daily water changes.

Daily water changes and high temps are your best solution against ich. The clean water helps the fish be less stressed and it can fight off the parasite easier.

Good luck! :)

Ich can be treated simply by raising the temperature gradually and keeping it there for a few weeks. I wouldn't waste your time or money with medication. happygirl65 nailed it, higher temps and some salt is your best bet! You might also want to drop your water level, if you are using a HOB filter, since with the higher temps there will be less oxygen in the tank. Lowering the water level will create a bigger splash from the filter, aerating the tank better.

Last edited:
I am not 100% sure but I believe that puffer is actually brackish water.

Back
Top Bottom