Question about gorami dwarfs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cory123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi new member I need advice on dwarf gourami it swims head up then rests on substrate gulping to breath all parameters in aquarium ok I got the fish six days ago. I would appreciate help because I have already lost one of these fish I have two angel fish in the tank with corys and tetras, could this be the problem. Thankyou :thanks:

Gouramis are labyrinth fish. They need to go to the top of the tank to breathe oxygen.

my dwarfs always go to the top to breathe. they also settle on the gravel at night with their heads facing up. normal behavior.

To all answers about my dwarf gouramis

Unfortunately both have now died. My tank is aqua1 850, peramiters normal, tank in operation 2years, all live plants, fish 2 years old in tank, no problems before. 10per cent water change every three weeks. I use tetra easy balance and aqua safe. Thankyou for telling me that gouramis like to get air from top of tank and that they lay down because this was also happening. Do you think I was just unlucky with fish from fish shop or was it angel fish please. Thankyou so much for everyone one who answered my questions xx

Cory123 said:
Unfortunately both have now died. My tank is aqua1 850, peramiters normal, tank in operation 2years, all live plants, fish 2 years old in tank, no problems before. 10per cent water change every three weeks. I use tetra easy balance and aqua safe. Thankyou for telling me that gouramis like to get air from top of tank and that they lay down because this was also happening. Do you think I was just unlucky with fish from fish shop or was it angel fish please. Thankyou so much for everyone one who answered my questions xx

I'm sorry to hear about your loss :(

You should be doing PWCs at least once a week, depends on your stock, how much you change & if its at least once or twice a week
When they ask what are your water params, they'd like to know exactly what numbers instead of hearing just "normal" its much easier to pin point the problem & easier to help you

sorry to hear about your fish. :-( i agree with all the advice you've received so far. you really do need to take tests for ammonia, ph, nitrate and nitrite . it would help everyone if you post those numbers. also i think your water changes should be more frequent i do a 20-25% every 3 days. that may seem like a lot but it works for me. i have 6 dwarf gouramis and they have been in my tank for 2 years. they do behave the way i described in my earlier post. that's why i didn't think it was strange. as far as bad stock where did you purchase your fish? is it a reputable store? they might be willing to give you some replacement fish although they will probably want you to bring a water sample to make sure your water parameters are within normal limits. that's how my store handles it.

Back
Top Bottom