Random GloFish deaths?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it a common problem with GloFish Danios that they get deformities and die randomly? I started with a school of 12 in my 36 bowfront (was previously a 20 gallon long before I upgraded) and I'm now down to 5... The deaths haven't all happened together or anything, it's been here and there over the last 6 months. Most of them swim fine and eat fine one day, then wind up dead the next, while others start showing spinal deformities over the course of about a week before ending up dead.

The tank parameters are always 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and I *think* 20 nitrates max (I have a really tough time reading the nitrate test since it seems like you shine the light on the tube one way it reads one way and shine it a different way it's a different color), all done with the API test kit. I've tried the strips too as a secondary and it comes up 0,0,0.

The best I can figure is that they have less genetic diversity than the wild caught Zebra Danios and therefore are more likely to have deformities... My friend who keeps them in her 60 gallon tank has had similar issues. Any suggestions on what I can do? All the other fish in the tank are totally fine and happy, including my 5 GloTetras (which you think would have similar issues if it's a genetic diversity problem).

Is it a common problem with GloFish Danios that they get deformities and die randomly? I started with a school of 12 in my 36 bowfront (was previously a 20 gallon long before I upgraded) and I'm now down to 5... The deaths haven't all happened together or anything, it's been here and there over the last 6 months. Most of them swim fine and eat fine one day, then wind up dead the next, while others start showing spinal deformities over the course of about a week before ending up dead.

The tank parameters are always 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and I *think* 20 nitrates max (I have a really tough time reading the nitrate test since it seems like you shine the light on the tube one way it reads one way and shine it a different way it's a different color), all done with the API test kit. I've tried the strips too as a secondary and it comes up 0,0,0.

The best I can figure is that they have less genetic diversity than the wild caught Zebra Danios and therefore are more likely to have deformities... My friend who keeps them in her 60 gallon tank has had similar issues. Any suggestions on what I can do? All the other fish in the tank are totally fine and happy, including my 5 GloTetras (which you think would have similar issues if it's a genetic diversity problem).

You know... Funny enough I have had similar issues with them, I had added them to my 55 gal and they are a nice accent with the colors, but they just don't last. I keep replacing them and I am now down to 1. I've had if for about 3 weeks now so far so good, but I'm Leary it's gonna start having issues also sooner or later. I was just about to add another couple of them so it can have some company. But funny enough it seems like they do better on their own.
I really don't understand them.

It's entirely possible its down to inbred stock, seeing that they come from one company.

You know... Funny enough I have had similar issues with them, I had added them to my 55 gal and they are a nice accent with the colors, but they just don't last. I keep replacing them and I am now down to 1. I've had if for about 3 weeks now so far so good, but I'm Leary it's gonna start having issues also sooner or later. I was just about to add another couple of them so it can have some company. But funny enough it seems like they do better on their own.
I really don't understand them.

Keeping them alone isn't really an option for me since the tank they're in was completely designed around them... Plus they seem to start picking on their tankmates when they don't have enough of themselves to chase (just like normal Danios). It seems like out of every batch I get, I get a few that seem to have good genetics and grow big and strong with no issues, so I guess it's just a matter of continuing to restock until I get enough solid ones to last for a normal Danio lifespan.

Stop buying them, they often have a reduced lifespan.

Genetically modified fish like these are banned here in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop buying them, they often have a reduced lifespan.

Genetically modified fish like these are banned here in the UK.

ANY selectively bred fish will tend to have issues with lifespan expectancy if the gene pool is not branched out and diversified regularly. GloFish appear to be no different. I will be writing to their creators alerting them to the issue so hopefully they can work on strengthening their strain.

I do not live in the UK, so the ban does not apply to me. My tank is specifically designed around GloFish as my centerpiece, so simply not buying them is not something I'm willing to do when I love the look and effect it has in my tank. I've put far too much money into making this tank as awesome as it is already to give up on it just because of some bad batches. I already have a 75 gallon planted community for the natural looking tank (which I love), so this tank is meant to be both a night light and totally different style tank. You may not care for them, but telling someone to stop buying a fish that they clearly like and have gone out of their way to care for is a bit rude.

Just for reference... Here's what my GloTank currently looks like:
img_2840594_0_73272f393daa4d05f4f3930b59c38c75.jpg

And here's my 75 gallon:
img_2840594_1_982d7a21a7d0b175e92626ffced11263.jpg

I love both of them for different reasons and love the contrast between the two.

I bought glofish (without knowing, I did my research after, it's when I was starting,,) and they're still going strong after a year.. So maybe finding another seller ? Your glotank is awesome! I would try and make it work! Good luck!

I bought glofish (without knowing, I did my research after, it's when I was starting,,) and they're still going strong after a year.. So maybe finding another seller ? Your glotank is awesome! I would try and make it work! Good luck!

Hmmm, maybe. I've tried both of the two LFS in my area (including Wet Spot, which usually has fantastically healthy fish), so the only other options I have would be online or Petco/Petsmart/Wallmart (ugh). In the interest of avoiding spending extra to have them shipped only to have similar issues I think I'll stick to my LFS'. Thanks for the kind words :)

Do they do their own breeding ? Because if not, it is likely that both LFS get their shipments from the same place... I had that problem once with my dwarf gouramis.. Found out they all came from the same place.. Hope everything works out :)

Do they do their own breeding ? Because if not, it is likely that both LFS get their shipments from the same place... I had that problem once with my dwarf gouramis.. Found out they all came from the same place.. Hope everything works out :)

That's the thing... GloFish are illegal to breed (due to patents), so I don't believe going online or to the chain stores will get me any different stock since they all come from the one company that holds the patent. This is why I contacted customer support for the GloFish to suggest that they need to diversify their bloodlines a little. Hopefully they'll listen, but I realize the chances of them changing things on one person's feedback is low...

ANY selectively bred fish will tend to have issues with lifespan expectancy if the gene pool is not branched out and diversified regularly. GloFish appear to be no different. I will be writing to their creators alerting them to the issue so hopefully they can work on strengthening their strain.

I do not live in the UK, so the ban does not apply to me. My tank is specifically designed around GloFish as my centerpiece, so simply not buying them is not something I'm willing to do when I love the look and effect it has in my tank. I've put far too much money into making this tank as awesome as it is already to give up on it just because of some bad batches. I already have a 75 gallon planted community for the natural looking tank (which I love), so this tank is meant to be both a night light and totally different style tank. You may not care for them, but telling someone to stop buying a fish that they clearly like and have gone out of their way to care for is a bit rude.

So just a point of clarity and a bit of advice. You posted a public question in a public forum asking for input regarding deaths and deformities that you are seeing in the fish you are choosing to keep. The point was simply made that these fish are a genetically engineered fish with a relatively short lifespan and that their sale is banned in the UK. The best answer, if you don't want to deal with the deaths and deformities is to stop buying the fish. That is not a rude statement, its a factual one. It may not have been the answer you were hoping for, but it is a factual one. When posting on a public forum, you have to expect that you are going to get answers, whether you like them or not.

So just a point of clarity and a bit of advice. You posted a public question in a public forum asking for input regarding deaths and deformities that you are seeing in the fish you are choosing to keep. The point was simply made that these fish are a genetically engineered fish with a relatively short lifespan and that their sale is banned in the UK. The best answer, if you don't want to deal with the deaths and deformities is to stop buying the fish. That is not a rude statement, its a factual one. It may not have been the answer you were hoping for, but it is a factual one. When posting on a public forum, you have to expect that you are going to get answers, whether you like them or not.

The post was modified since when I first saw it... Originally the comment was worded that I should stop buying them because GloFish are "hideous", with the shortened lifespan being an after thought. Thats what I found rude more than the bit about "Hey, don't buy them if you don't like the lifespan."

Okay, the GloFish customer support responded to my inquiry about whether they're constantly refreshing their gene pool or not:

Thank you for contacting us, and we appreciate your interest in our GloFish® fluorescent fish. We are very sorry to hear about the situation you described and understand it can be frustrating to experience this issue. Given the importance of maintaining genetically diverse populations, we regularly utilize a variety of advanced breeding techniques to avoid inbreeding concerns.

That said, in terms of diagnosing the problem you described, please remember that GloFish are similar to their non-fluorescent counterparts, just with a more vibrant color. Accordingly, maladies that affect non-fluorescent zebra danios also affect GloFish Danios. While it’s very difficult to diagnose illnesses at a distance, generally speaking, the symptoms you have described are consistent with certain illnesses that are known to affect tropical fish in general, and zebra danios in particular. Our best suggestion would be to contact a local veterinarian who works with fish and/or your local fish store, where we hope they could diagnose the exact illness and recommend potential treatments.

Once again, we’re very sorry to hear about your situation and hope that this information may be helpful.

Obviously taking this with a grain of salt, but it does sound like they try to keep their lines diverse. Are the spinal issues and other deformities really that common in normal Zebra Danios? It's been a while since I kept the normal kind, but I thought they were more hardy than this...

I'm thinking they are referring to neon tetra disease or fish tb, most likely ntd which,from my understanding, can affect danios..

I'm thinking they are referring to neon tetra disease or fish tb, most likely ntd which,from my understanding, can affect danios..

Yikes, that's scary if that's what it is... It does match some of the symptoms. But the Neons in the tank are all fine, it's only the Danios showing issues. If it's in the tank, how long do I wait for zero odd behavior/deaths before attempting to restock? 6 months? Longer?

Yikes, that's scary if that's what it is... It does match some of the symptoms. But the Neons in the tank are all fine, it's only the Danios showing issues. If it's in the tank, how long do I wait for zero odd behavior/deaths before attempting to restock? 6 months? Longer?
I'm not sure, I think either basically reside in the host fish, once you've detected the infected it's best to remove sooner than later, if the fish dies and others nibble the spread is eminent.

I'm not sure, I think either basically reside in the host fish, once you've detected the infected it's best to remove sooner than later, if the fish dies and others nibble the spread is eminent.

I've never seen the other fish nibble at the dead ones; my snails and crayfish are quite fast at going after them and often dispose of the fish before I can even spot it dead. Based on the fact that I see them one night before bed and they're often missing by my lunch break the next day, there's not much time there that a corpse could be sitting around to be nibbled.

I'll do some research and see if I can find any recommendations online about how long to wait before it's safe to consider restocking... Thanks! I never would have guessed NTD!

Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude. They are not selectively bred, they are genetically modified by having a gene added that is not part of their natural genetic makeup. This has been done purely for human gain and I find that intrinsically wrong. If there isn't demand, then these things wouldn't happen. Why mess with the beauty of nature? Some fish naturally produce colour mutations, such as gold or red, without interference in their genetic make-up.

Back
Top Bottom