Relatively new and not successful

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SadFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I got an Oscar 9 or so months ago, had a 10gal tank he seemed kind of happy until he started getting sluggish. I was told I needed a larger tank. Got a 29gal about 7 months ago and he seemed okay up until a couple of months ago when he started getting sluggish. I then realized that I wasn't changing his water frequently enough. Went to monthly 10 gal changes, then I started seeing a hole in his fin, went to the local fish store got some medication and now Fin-again is no longer here. I never thought it would be easy but I would like to know if I'm just doomed or if I can actually keep a fish alive for many years.... hence the name SadFish.

Welcome to AA. well first you need to get a bigger tank for a oscar. they need 75 gallon tank or more. make a thread in the forum if you havent yet.

Sadfish, I went through the same thing too. I've had fish tanks now for about 5 or 6 years. It takes awhile until you learn how things work, what to do in certain situations, etc. That's why there is this wonderful website to fall back on. You'll be okay (we are here for you), use your 29 gallon tank for some smaller fish, platties, tetras, guppies AND good luck!!
gail

I agree, oscars need big tanks. Also IMO you should do about 40% water changes weekly, more or less depending on how well you take care of your tank.

I suggest you read the articles in neilanh's signature above on cycling for one. Secondly, it is always best to research the fish you want to make sure you can give them what they need.

this site is great and full of helpful people. I hope you enjoy it here :)

Back
Top Bottom