Rosy Barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcsoter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A week ago I had five Rosy Barbs in my aquarium, now I have three. The fish seem to gradually get skinny and less active and then eventually go belly up. The two females died first, and a male is starting to swim "funny" as in not fighting the current or floating in akward positions, like on its side.

Parameters:

-30 gallon aquarium set up for over a year now (the rosy barbs have been in the aquarium for a month) with two rummy nose tetras and a plecostimus (all three of which are doing just fine)

--Ammonia: right around .25-.5 ppm
--Nitrites: 0 ppm
--Nitrates about 5-10 ppm
--pH: 7.0

-Using a biowheel 200 filter

-The nitrates were high a week ago, so I did a water change of about 50% and now it is down to the amount above

-While doing that water change I vacuumed the gravel.

-I use ph 7.0 powder to adjust the water I put in the aquarium.

-I feed the fish TetraMin Tropical Crisps flake food once every day.

On a side note, the Nitrates in my aquarium always seem to skyrocket every week. I usually do partial water changes every two weeks, but lately it seems I have to do them more often.

I hope I have provided enough information, and I hope you can help (as it seems my local fish store owner is not helping much). Thank you.

-Joseph

Welcome to AA!!!

Why do you have any ammonia in the tank? You should have none. What kind of filter do you have and please descibe your tank cleaning regimen.

Are the barbs eating? What does the poo look like?

Wow, didn't even think to look at the poo...

I have a Penguin Biowheel 200. It turns 200gph (757 liters).

As for the poo, I'll make a point to look at it. Most of the waste I see in the aquarium is from the plecostimus.

Every week I vacuum and replace 6-9 gallons of water. My plecostimus takes care of the algae.

The barbs are eating, as I just fed them. I will watch more closely next time to verify.

Ammonia: This has never been a problem in my aquarium! I was very suprised to see that test result. I just tested it again and I'm reading 0 ppm. My last one may have been a faulty test.

I have some frozen bloodworms, would it be a wise thing to feed them those tomorrow?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom