ruffled scales?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshwaterashley

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My female platy gave birth to about 30 fry a few days ago and she has been the same since.. not just that she is skinnier, but her scales seem to be standing like a bad hairday... should i be worried? Is this some kind of sickness and should i remove her from the tank?

A picture would be nice to see. From your description is sounds like your platy is pineconing. Unfortunately that is a sign of dropsy and there is no cure for that:( I am so sorry!!

Oh my! Yes, that is a sign of Dropsy...Yes, a pic would be helpful..

I cant get a good picture because she keeps hiding.. but could the babies have something wrong with them too?

Its on the top of her head.. she is swimming around all lethargically now that i moved her from the main tank... can it spread to my other fish?

ForumRunner_20130529_191124.jpg

The good thing is that dropsy isn't contagious, I do not think you will have to worry about her babies just keep clean water and keep an eye on them.

So she is definitely going to die from this and there is nothing i can do for her?

If it is in fact dropsy I'm sorry it's pretty sure she won't make it. I myself am a very hopeful person so I know I would keep her and make her as comfortable as possible and hope she makes it. But I would prepare for the worst:( sorry!

I guess its not so bad.. at least i got some beautiful healthy fry from her... but i just hate to see them suffer

I would say about a week, maybe a little longer. Im sorry you haven't had a lot of time with her:(

Dropsy is usually the end result of something else. It is possible for them to recover if caught early but typically it re-occurs within 6 months & is usually fatal then. Sorry you have a fish suffering from it. When I've had one with it & it's really pineconing I usually euthanize rather than let the fish suffer.

Dropsy is usually the end result of something else. It is possible for them to recover if caught early but typically it re-occurs within 6 months & is usually fatal then. Sorry you have a fish suffering from it. When I've had one with it & it's really pineconing I usually euthanize rather than let the fish suffer.

Euthanize how?

Ok i looked it up and yes your link worked... i just dont feel comfortable doing any of those :( which way do you usually do it?

It is a tough decision to make & unfortunately something most of us will do at some point in this hobby. I use the temperature shock method, IME, it takes just seconds. I take a plastic cup, put ice in it, fill half way with refrigerated water, put into the freezer to make it even colder & slightly slushy. I take my dying fish in my hand put him/her in the cup under the ice then put the cup back into the freezer for a while. Then dispose of how you want. Whichever way you choose be as comfortable as you can with your decision because you're doing it in the best interest of your fish.

She actuall died on her own the next day but thanks so much for pointing that link to my attention. In the future i will definitely be looking that up again :)

Back
Top Bottom