Sailing Molly lost his eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kristenisadino

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon saltwater tank with live plants, snails, and different breeds of fish. I have 2 paradise fish, 2 guppies, 3 snails, 2 algae eaters, and 2 mollies. One of the mollies gave birth a little over two weeks ago and the fry are in their floating home til they are big enough to get along by themselves.
This morning I woke up, went to feed all of my hungry little friends and my male molly had lost his eye. When I first bought him, I brought him home, had him for a while, and he lost an eye. He was fine after that just a bit clumsy. He now has no eyes and I dont know how to raise a blind fish. He is still eating and swimming. I came home today and he had somehow gotten in his babies home and was there with them for a while. The babies would just nip at him.
I havent seen signs of aggression in any of the fish. At times the male paradise fish will have his moments and get a little angry, chase the fish that is bothering him, then go on with his day. How did my molly lose his eyes and how do I take care of him?

Whats the salinity you keep them at? Also, why?

I know the guppies and mollies can be kept at normal salt conditions but I highly doubt the paradise fish is in the same category. Assuming they are kept at around 1.015 or higher the paradise fish and algae eaters are going to die fairly quickly under those conditions.

The missing eyes are likely from the algae eaters you have.

Its not very salty just a TBSP of salt a month. I keep them in salt because it keeps them calm mostly. Ive had the paradise fish for around 8 months now and they are doing fine. My algae eaters don't like to come out during the day or at night. They will come out sometimes to get fish food if they want it but they just sit in this log decoration I have in there. Also, they are very large compared to when I got them. Plus, my male molly is very "hyper" he is constantly all over the tank even with both of his eyes gone. I don't know if my algae eaters could have gotten his eyes.

Its not very salty just a TBSP of salt a month. I keep them in salt because it keeps them calm mostly. Ive had the paradise fish for around 8 months now and they are doing fine. My algae eaters don't like to come out during the day or at night. They will come out sometimes to get fish food if they want it but they just sit in this log decoration I have in there. Also, they are very large compared to when I got them. Plus, my male molly is very "hyper" he is constantly all over the tank even with both of his eyes gone. I don't know if my algae eaters could have gotten his eyes.

Then its a freshwater tank. Saltwater tanks are very much different. Different salts as well.

I know this may seem weird but do you have a pic of the blind Molly?

That doesn't qualify as a saltwater tank. Saltwater is generally kept around 1.020 specific gravity which takes about a half cup of salt mix per gallon. Yours is just a fresh water tank with a little salt added in :)

Btw, I can almost guarantee that your algae eaters are responsible for the missing eyes. They are notorious for being aggressive and they tend to go for the eyes before anything. I've seen it multiple times on this forum and in my own fish. Look up "Chinese algae eaters". Imho they are basically a demon fish. I would return them asap.

As for caring for the blind fish, just add food in the same place every day so he knows where it is. I also used to tap on the tank just to let my blind cichlid know that food was coming. He ended up coming right to his feeding spot every time.

Alright thanks and I bought the algae eaters about a year ago I don't know if I'm able to return them

Alright thanks and I bought the algae eaters about a year ago I don't know if I'm able to return them

Most stores will take fish for credit or just as donations. It sucks but they really don't belong in peaceful community aquariums... at all.

My Chinese Algae eater was not good at eating algae but great at killing fish. He had to go and I replaced him with a Rubber Lip Pleco who does a much better job.

Why do they sell those awful Chinese algae eaters? I agree, demon fish!

I have one and have had him 6 months and he is in a community tank. He is amazing. He hides under a log where he dug a hole and only comes out to clean up leftover food

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140302_170940.jpg
    ForumRunner_20140302_170940.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 77
I have one and have had him 6 months and he is in a community tank. He is amazing. He hides under a log where he dug a hole and only comes out to clean up leftover food

You are definitely among the minority with your experience with them. I've had one suck a black moors eyes out, my uncle has one that outright kills other fish, I've seen multiple posts this week complaining of fish having their eyes sucked out by Chinese algae eaters.

You are definitely among the minority with your experience with them. I've had one suck a black moors eyes out, my uncle has one that outright kills other fish, I've seen multiple posts this week complaining of fish having their eyes sucked out by Chinese algae eaters.

Yes that's true, I've seen them post as well. Mine is unique I think but non the less he is gonna be fish food soon!!!

Are you sure this isn't aggression ? Your tank is pretty over stocked and some of the fish in there really don't belong in a 10g, territorial issues are highly likely especially with the paradise fish.

Back
Top Bottom