Severely constipated betta-- life or death??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

audreydee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Tank:
Love Fish Betta Duo 20 Litre Aquarium-- filtered and heated
Animals: 2 betta (split tank), 1 nerite snail
Plants: 2 plant of unknown species and 1 moss ball

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate 10-20 ppm

PH: Unknown, don't have the testing drops

As you can see from the (terribly blurry) photos, my betta is SEVERELY bloated. I had to urgently leave my house for two weeks just under two months ago, and left care instructions for my housemate to take care of my fish and it's possible that he was over fed during that time.

When I came home, he had the worst case of ich I had ever seen, but it responded really well to treatment (Love Fish White Spot Treatment). About two weeks later, he started getting bloated, and seemingly overnight he swelled to an enormous size.

I tried the fasting + pea trick twice, and two days ago I gave him freeze dried daphnia. He did a small, stringy brown poo (not white), but it didn't reduce his enormous belly. No pineconing.

Other than epsom salts (having difficulty locating them but hoping to get some tomorrow), is there any advice? Is it too late for him??? He's very energetic, doesn't seem to be having problems swimming and isn't acting ill.

Attachments

• 20160501_200017.jpg
    20160501_200017.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 20160501_195935 (1).jpg
    20160501_195935 (1).jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 20160502_163937.jpg
    20160502_163937.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 93
Hi, have you tried the inside of a blanched pea? It can really help with constipation and bloating.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon borara merah and brigittae, shrimp and snails

Hi, have you tried the inside of a blanched pea? It can really help with constipation and bloating.

Yes, I gave him a bit of pea with fasting periods in between twice. I didn't notice him poo after either...

Sorry I never noticed you tried the pea, all I can think of is Epsom salt like you said.

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon borara merah and brigittae, shrimp and snails

Back
Top Bottom