Should I end his suffering??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CareBear3030

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I am offically loosing my first fish. My tank is about 3 weeks into cycling and my ammonia is 0, but my nitrates are peaking. I have a dalmation molly that has been hanging at the top of the tank for the past day or so and not being very active. Well now the other dalmation molly is nipping and chasing him and seems to be helping him out of his misery. I think it will be a matter of hours before he is dead. Now he is swimming sideways. Should I just go ahead and end his misery, or let nature take its course. If I end his misery then I think...well what if he would have pulled out....but yet I feel sorry for the poor thing suffering. So what do I do??

Actually another question.....the dalmation that is picking on the other is pregnant. And she is not only bothering the one that seems to be dying, but she is flying around the tank as if shes on crack. I have no other way to explain it. She is flying around in and out. Much more active than normal. Is she ready to have her babies, or is she possibly the sick one and killed the other one?

Have you tried doing water changes to get the nitrites down (I assume you meant nitrites and not nitrates)?

You might be surprised how fast he perks up if his water conditions improve...

Have you considered moving him to a tank with fresh unpolluted water? A bowl would work as temporary accomodation... Just dechlor it and equalize the temp/pH. You can allow any other fish to continue to cycle the tank. No need to keep him in high Nitrite water if he's suffering that much.

P.S. Put a small filter or bubbler on the temp accomodation in order to keep water flow going (if you have extras). Do water changes every day to make sure it doesn't get turbid.

Back
Top Bottom