Siamese Fighting Fish Not well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cloudxsoldier

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys,

My girlfried recently bought a Siamese Fighting Fish to keen on her desk at work. It has been with her for about a week

There are alot of bubble on the surface (and ive heard this is a good thing?) but for the past few days it has just been floating on the surface not moving and looks like it doesnt breath. When you touch it it swims around for abit like its OK but then goes back to its usual spot.

Now. All of this wasnt really a concern but NOW its pretty tail is starting to carrode away!

Can anyone give us some advice? Id hate to see it die on her :(

Attachments

• fighting fish 001.jpg
    fighting fish 001.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 75
Well to be totally honest we dont have a filter OR heater.
We can easily change the water every week though.

I'm no expert on freshwater fish but the LFS guy said the bowl would be big enough.

within the office we work nearly everyone has a fish on their desk. there are about 4 fighting fish in total plus a heap of guppies and they have all done well for over a month without heater/filter but with regular water changes. (the guppies we have had for over a year now)

I guess we should just do an early water change and see how he goes?

thanks in advance.

I would look into a filter and heater, personally.

Change the water daily, you need pristine water conditions. There are a variety of medications you could look into also. Depends on what path you want to go.

I have a betta who went through fin rot for no reason for a few months. I changed 50% water daily (he's in a 5g) and had the heater up to 76 degrees. I used Melafix as well and bought a high quality pellet. Also introduced lots of java fern and moved him out of direct sunlight so I could monitor the amount of light he was recieving. I had to go a bit overboard due to the longivity of his condition, but there are many ways of tackling this problem. Number one thing is good, clean water daily.

I just have to add that I wouldn't use melafix or pimafix on a betta. I've heard it's really not good for any fish with a labyrinth organ. Clean water is really your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom