Sick angel fish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clarkey999

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I brought a golden angel fish from a shop but it had a previous owner.
He already had scaled missing along the top of both sides if his body when we brought him. When we first took him home after 1 day he had major popeye. So we treated him and cleared it up. We then noticed he was swimming very slowly and slightly to one side.(we thought this might be because he couldn't see out of 1 eye). When the eye healed he was still swimming to his side sometimes.
He had just had another case of slight popeye and we have treated this early. The other day I caught him swimming totally on his side. He went normal once he saw me. I don't know weather he was sick before we got him or weather it's a underlying condition?
Please help.

Have you put this fish in with everything that's in your 74litre tank?

Your stock list in your profile tells me that your tank is overstocked already before adding the angel.

Could you give some tank specifics so we know what we're dealing with?

Tank size?
Current stock?
Water parameters?
PWC schedule?

Jon

jondamon said:
Have you put this fish in with everything that's in your 74litre tank?

Your stock list in your profile tells me that your tank is overstocked already before adding the angel.

Could you give some tank specifics so we know what we're dealing with?

Tank size?
Current stock?
Water parameters?
PWC schedule?

Jon

Size is 600x300x300
74 ltr
Water parameters are fine 7.4 ph level.
1 Bala shark
1 rainbow
2 mollies
1 angel fish (the one in question)
And a bottom feeder
It isn't overstocked.

Bala sharks get 12+ inches.
You have a 20 gallon tank!!!!

Is your tank tall or long?
Have you tested the water? What are your parameters?

What kind of "bottom feeder" do you have?

Sorry for all the questions, it's just so we can help you better.
And do you have a pic of your tank and the Angel?

I'm sorry- this app on my phone didn't show me you answered some of those questions. :smack my head:

Clarkey999 said:
Size is 600x300x300
74 ltr
Water parameters are fine 7.4 ph level.
1 Bala shark
1 rainbow
2 mollies
1 angel fish (the one in question)
And a bottom feeder
It isn't overstocked.

My own 200litre tank is too small for one Bala. Unfortunately you are very overstocked.

Most Balas require a minimum of 350litres.

Most angels require a minimum of 100litres

Rainbow sharks need at least 125litres.

Bottom feeder? I'm assuming you listened to a pet store on your stocking and as such they probably sold you a common plecostomous. These need around 400litres or more.

Also we need actual numbers for Ammonia,Nitrite and Nitrate in ppm. Not that they are fine!

IMO you need to rehome the Bala, the rainbow and depending upon what it is possibly the bottom feeder (if its a common Pleco) then you MAY be able to keep the Mollies and Angel and then possibly get something like Oto's as your bottom feeder.

Your tank although may not appear to be overstocked when you look at it in fact is very badly over stocked.

The Bala when fully grown can reach up to 16" in length. The common Pleco (if it is) can reach 2 feet.

Rainbow sharks don't play well with other sharks or fish of similar structures as they become very territorial. They can reach 6" in size.

This may not be entirely your fault as you may have listened to pet store employees rather than researching yourself first.

Don't worry everything can be rectified either by rehoming some fish or buying a larger tank.

Jon

Thanks for your replies guys...

So ur aware, Bala shark is currently 3 inches. Mollies are only small and I have a corydoras NOT A PLECO!!!! Cory is only about 1 inch big not even that.
We didn't go to your local petsmarts either, we went to proper fish shops.
Rainbow shark and Bala are getting on very well, not territorial AT ALL. (Don't believe everything you read about certain types of fish).
As and when the fish grow bigger, I'm not silly nor naive enough to keep them in a small tank. Hence we are getting a bigger tank soon.

My original question was regarding my angel fish being ill before we had him... Not for you to comment on how I care for my fish.
I am grateful for your advice, however, if you want to comment on this thread, great, but stick to answering the question.

Kind regards

So ur aware, Bala shark is currently 3 inches. Mollies are only small and I have a corydoras NOT A PLECO!!!! Cory is only about 1 inch big not even that.
Rainbow shark and Bala are getting on very well, not territorial AT ALL. (Don't believe everything you read about certain types of fish).
As and when the fish grow bigger, I'm not silly nor naive enough to keep them in a small tank. Hence we are getting a bigger tank soon.

My original question was regarding my angel fish being ill before we had him... Not for you to comment on how I care for my fish.
I am grateful for your advice, however, if you want to comment on this thread, great, but stick to answering the question.

Kind regards

lmao. No one is putting you down they are offering you advice and great advice at that.... It is advisable to not tell people how to answer your post that just will never happen. People are going to offer you all the advice they can. Trying to figure out why a fish is sick and with what depends on a lot of things, tank tests, other fish in your tank, cycled or not cycled, temp, eating habits should I go on?

Glad to hear you plan on getting a bigger tank, that is good. I really hope your Angel fish gets better. Do you have a picture of your Angel?

Calypso77 out!!!

Clarkey999 said:

Kind regards

Getting the in's and out's of your tank and stock could explain unexplainable marks and damage to fish. That's why I brought it up.

I do understand about not believing everything you read relating to certain species of fish however size requirements are a necessity for fish to be happy. Rainbow sharks like to be the only one of that shape in the tank. Bala sharks like to be in schools of 5 or more. Facts are facts whether we want them to be true or not.

You still haven't answered the question I asked about your tank parameters.

With most body damage the only thing that's needed alot of the time is just plain and simple 'clean water' but depending upon your tank parameters will determine how often you need to change your water.

When any of my fish have body damage I try to do daily water changes.

BUT my tank is fully cycled and not overstocked.

Overstocking and incorrectly stocking can heavily contribute to excess Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate which in turn can cause body damage, respiratory problems, internal issues and stunting.

I'm really just trying to give you the bigger picture to help you help your fish.

In short if you want the easy answer its Daily water changes to help your angel heal.

The longer answer is increase Bala shark numbers to 5. Get rid of rainbow shark then upgrade to at least a 600litre tank.
Or
Get rid of Bala shark and upgrade tank to around 200litre but don't add any more shark shape fish.

Jon

Back
Top Bottom