sick betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kat1103

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I've had my betta since Feb 2011. He's been in a 5 gallon tank with a mystery snail. About a week and half ago I moved him to a newly cycled 20 gallon tank. Parameters were: ph 7.5 (same as other tank), ammo-0, nitrite-0, nitrate-5. Only difference was that in 5 gallon tank I had trouble keeping nitrate below 10. So I would assume the water quality was better in the new tank. I did add a piece of driftwood and 2 java ferns to the new tank after I put him in there. I boiled the driftwood and rinsed the plants before I put them in as well. Anyways, I noticed he wasn't eating a few days ago. When I looked at him closer I noticed his eyes appeared cloudy and bulgy. He also looks a little gray under his chin. He's tried to eat, but I think he just had trouble seeing the food. 3 days ago I took him out of the 20 and put him back in the 5 since I still had it running. I have been treating him with a bacterial medicine that said would treat cloudy eye. He did eat a little yesterday, but struggled to do this. He is still sluggish and doesn't look any better. Don't know if I'm doing the right thing. Did I diagnose him right? Or is this from the stress of the move? or is it just old age? Also, how can I be sure that my snail won't get sick too? He looks the same, and is eating and moving around like normal. any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Kat1103 said:
Ok so I've had my betta since Feb 2011. He's been in a 5 gallon tank with a mystery snail. About a week and half ago I moved him to a newly cycled 20 gallon tank. Parameters were: ph 7.5 (same as other tank), ammo-0, nitrite-0, nitrate-5. Only difference was that in 5 gallon tank I had trouble keeping nitrate below 10. So I would assume the water quality was better in the new tank. I did add a piece of driftwood and 2 java ferns to the new tank after I put him in there. I boiled the driftwood and rinsed the plants before I put them in as well. Anyways, I noticed he wasn't eating a few days ago. When I looked at him closer I noticed his eyes appeared cloudy and bulgy. He also looks a little gray under his chin. He's tried to eat, but I think he just had trouble seeing the food. 3 days ago I took him out of the 20 and put him back in the 5 since I still had it running. I have been treating him with a bacterial medicine that said would treat cloudy eye. He did eat a little yesterday, but struggled to do this. He is still sluggish and doesn't look any better. Don't know if I'm doing the right thing. Did I diagnose him right? Or is this from the stress of the move? or is it just old age? Also, how can I be sure that my snail won't get sick too? He looks the same, and is eating and moving around like normal. any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Cloudy eye means bad water quality most of the time. Did u check ur parameters the day he was sick?

It happened only a few days after I moved him. In the old tank they were consistent and ammo and nitrite were zero, ph-7.5, nitrate 10-20. I did weekly water changes of 25%. In the new tank they were ammo-0, nitrite-0, ph-7.5, and nitrate was only 5. Since the new parameters were better in the new tank I thought it may be stress or something else. He still looks the same and didn't eat yesterday. He still has one more day of meds to be treated with. I've also been changing his water more frequently now that he is sick. So I guess I will just wait and see what happens. Don't want to loose him.....

Back
Top Bottom