Sick betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mckitrick

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a betta from walmart and i searched and searched for what was wrong and turns out swim bladder disease does anyone know any cures ir what to do

I would take the fish back if you can and never get a fish from walmart ever again. Every walmart I go to I always count 12-15 dead fish in their tanks.

That is about as cruel as it gets just take it back get another one and let this one suffer real nice i think hes getting better hes not completely on his side anymore

I have him in a really small 1 gal tank to recover and he is slowly recovering

Ok. If those are his only symptoms, it may be ammonia poisoning and not swim bladder issues. Bettas are prone to swim bladder issues, but ammonia poisoning is very common in bettas that are kept in cups because the stores don't all change the water enough.
For right now, I suggest doing a pwc everyday to keep his water really clean. How do his fins look? Is he bloated at all? If he tried swimming, what happens?

When ge tries swimming he just shoots to the surface for air then floats back to the bottom

Hes not bloated his fins are normal and vy his gills have a little red tin flap of tissue is that normal or what i tried to tell on my moms betta but with his coloration uts immposible to tell

Try feeding him a shelled pea. If you have frozen peas, take one, microwave it in water to thaw it out and pop it out of its shell.
Swim bladder issues can be from multiple sources, one of which is poor water conditions. Whether it is swim bladder or ammonia poisoning, or something similar, the treatment is still going to be lots of clean water and a good diet.

EDIT: The red gills can be a sign of ammonia poisoning. However, its hard to tell sometimes with bettas what is their normal color and what isn't.

Ok ill do the pea thing and i just changed the water so it seemed to perk him up

Good. :) Like I said, make sure to keep his water really clean and change a bit of it out every day. You have to do more cleanings since he is in a small tank. Let me know how it goes and feel free to ask any other questions you might have about getting him better.

Ok thanks alot i apreciate it alot ill update when he is either better or worse

Peas are actually not good for bettas to eat. On another forum there are a few threads discussing it. If needed be I can get the links

I disgree. I have used peas multiple times successfully as have other aquarists. They help aid digestion, especially if a fish is constipated.
If you have articles or studies to link though, feel free.

Back
Top Bottom