Sick bettas...please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bec91

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello AA!

My red betta Flareon (who I've had for only a week) is showing signs of fin rot and possibly a fungal infection on the scales on his face (white patches). Unfortunately my manager and supposed "betta guru" has given up helping me out because "all the fish die anyway so what's the point"..... So errr that's less than helpful! I need to know what to do to help Flareon- he was put in a brand new tank setup, which I setup correctly so my theory is he came to me already sick and is just getting worse. I just did a 3/4 water change and put in the right amount of aquarium salt and also stress coat to begin treatment. Ive already tried multi cure which turned the water green and didn't help. He's in a 15L tank by himself and all chemical levels e.g ph and ammonia are where they should be. I feed him live bloodworms and his behaviour/eating habits are fine. Right now the light and filter are off to inhibit bacterial growth and promote fin regrowth (that's just what I read from one source online).
Am I doing the right thing? Any advice?

Additionally.....my other betta Vaporeon has been sick for quite some time. I got him from the same place that Flareon came from. At first I noticed he was very bloated, so I stopped feeding him for about 5 days. He only got worse, and I noticed his chin and around his mouth looked whitish, and very "flimsy" (it almost looked like he had a "mouth tumour" of sorts)...... for example I tried to catch him one morning and he swam rapidly away and must have scraped his chin because he started to bleed! I took him back to where I got him and it was suggested it may be a fungal infection.....so I tried him on this horrible green liquid that supposedly cures fungal infections- it has been many days now and no change. In fact, I think he is getting worse. I've had him in a smaller tank floating in my larger tank (my large tank is 22L and has other fish in it, and Vaporeon's small tank is about 1.5L and it is just him). I put him in there to separate him from the other fish and prevent him from hurting himself on anything else in the tank. Lately he simply floats at the top and does not move, he is still bloated and only really reacts when I feed him. It looks as though he is on the verge of death and I really don't know what to do anymore, I feel like such a horrible person for not being able to make him better :( his tank parameters are normal, pH, ammonia and such. I also feed him live worms (2 a day).

Thanks in advance for any help or advice, and apologies for the length of this post!

Hi Fishdude3233

Hi Fishdude3233
I'm using the API test kits- one for pH (water is about 7.2), Nitrates(0), Nitrites (0) and Ammonia (0). Temp is 25C (77-78F)

Back
Top Bottom