Sick Fantail! Need urgent advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fantail Fan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 50L tank with 2 fantails in it that I have had for about 3.5 years. I just got back from a week away and have found one of them has a large lump on its underside with a red blotchy rash (looks like haemorrhage to me). Both of the fish have always had a tendency to float upside down which would usually settle with a few peas to eat. This fish has been floating upside down for the last 4-6 weeks however without responding to peas. It is still fairly active and does not look septic or sick.
I suspect this is an abscess but thought I would ask other's advice. What antibiotic would be best if it is? It may be difficult to get as it is the start of a long weekend here.
Should I quarantine the fish?

Thanks for any advice.

I have included 2 photos of the fish and will be doing a full water check soon and posting the results. Tank was vacuumed and water changed before I went away so the water should be OK.

Attachments

• img_4400.jpg
    img_4400.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 71
  • img_4400.jpg
    img_4400.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 80
  • img_4401.jpg
    img_4401.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 90
Without seeing the fish in-person it is hard to determine if the redness and swelling is caused by inflammation, distension, rupture, or abscess.

It sounds like the fish is still eating? If you plan on treating with antibiotics they would be most effective added to the food the fish eats. I would start with tetracycline, or some kind of medicated fish food.

Also, I would not rule out an internal parasite of some sort. Again, there are some anti-parasite medicated fish foods on the market.

I agree with the above .... It is quite possible that the redness is from an internal infection. Feeding antibiotics is usually best. If you can't find antibiotic food for goldies, you can soak some regular food in a broad spectrum antibiotics like tetracyclin or erythromycin solution.

One thing that *may* help is epsom salt. The float & bloat may be a swimbladder disorder secondary to the infection, or possibly dropsy or food impaction. Infected egg impaction is also a possibility in females. The dosage is 1/4 teaspoon (1.25ml) per 40 liter. This may help relieve water retention & act as laxative.

If possible, I would treat the sick goldy in a seperate tank or container. Increasing the water temp to high 70's may also help, but make sure you have added aeration.

As usual, make sure you water parameters are perfect. Fresh clean water will only help.

Back
Top Bottom