Sick fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenema

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I just turned on my lights and noticed that I have a missing harlequin rasbora and a few that have what looks to be a fungus. Their fins are clamped but other than that they are acting normal. I took the best picture I could get of these fast little guys. Does anyone know exactly what this is and the best way to treat it? Also where it could have come from so I can avoid this happening again.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1437314110711.jpg
    1437314110711.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 63
What's up with the tank? Age, parameters, all.the details please. Could be the background but the water looks murky??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The tank is 2 months old, it was cycled with old media. Ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrate 10. I have been slowly stocking with plants and fish the last few weeks but they have been quarantined first. It currently has an angelfish, 7 harlequin rasbora (had 8 ), a basis badis, a Bolivian ram, and three ghost shrimp. I have plain white paper as a background right now and a diatom outbreak so that along with a blurry picture might be why it looks murky.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Harliquins are notorious for getting Velvet. You need to rule that out. If the area has a yellow tint to it, it's velvet. If it looks like it has a light dusting of white/yellow, it's velvet. Best treatment is copper and no lights on the aquarium as the parasite uses photosynthesis to survive.
Here is a link to a site that should help you identify the problem. Chart on Fish Diseases, Symptoms and their Treatments

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom