Sick gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klayton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a dwarf gourami that today has been very sluggish and has the following marks. I was wondering if it is due to fighting or a disease. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

image-3490856279.jpg

image-2287390915.jpg

image-4058563067.jpg

I dont have a quarantine, guess i will have to but one tomorrow. Is there any thing I can do to treat him?

Try salt and lowered heat to begin with. 1tablspoon per gallon of salt per dissolved and added slowly over a day or so. Temperate of 72F. It's hard to say what is is exactly but we will start with that. If this doesn't work we might have to look into antibacterial medications. Keep his water as clean as possible with daily water changes. You can also try swabbing the area with some hydrogen peroxide to kill it.

so a little salt and hydrogen peroxide wont hurt him? Also when I set up the quarantine tank should I but rocks and fake plants in to make him relax or just use an empty tank? I want to avoid shocking him as much as possible.

Klayton said:
so a little salt and hydrogen peroxide wont hurt him? Also when I set up the quarantine tank should I but rocks and fake plants in to make him relax or just use an empty tank? I want to avoid shocking him as much as possible.

Hydrogen peroxide will just help kill the bacteria. It won't hurt him. Keep it away from his eyes and gills. It is used on humans to disinfect wounds. The salt (if added slowly) will help promote his slime coat and help kill bacteria. Leave the QT bare bottom but some fake plants and something to hide in will help him feel more comfortable.
Add water from the main tank to the QT and you can add him straight away because the water will be the same. the QT will not be cycled so daily water changes will be needed to keep ammonia to an minimum.

thank you so muh for the help, i will try all of this when I get home and let you know what happens.

Ok so I set him up in his own tank and tried the peroxide. Is there a special salt to use or will a little table salt due the trick?

Klayton said:
Ok so I set him up in his own tank and tried the peroxide. Is there a special salt to use or will a little table salt due the trick?

Any salt that has NO iodine and NO anticaking agents is fine. Table salt will have one or both.

Well against all efforts he didn't make it. I think instead of getting another male i will get another female. thanks for your help though.

Back
Top Bottom