Sick Gourami and Silver Dollar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vonkster

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased an old 75 gallon tank from a friend of mine. I cleaned the side glass panels with vinegar and rinsed the tank 2-3 times. Currently, I have an opaline gourami (3.5 in long), a gold gourami (3 in), and 5 small silver dollars that range from a 1-2.5 inches.

Ammonia and nitrites are 0 (Ammonia could be a little above 0; it is hard to tell exactly what the reading is sometimes. The ammonia level is not above .25 ppm though). Nitrate levels are maybe around 20 ppm. Ph is about 7.2. These parameters were measured using an API freshwater test kit.

My opaline gourami and smallest silver dollar are both sick. The silver dollar seems to have a few shiny spots which suggests the problem is likely ich. Furthermore, my opaline gourami seems to have a pink/magenta growth or coloring on it's top fin that is destroying the fin. Does anyone know what the problem with the gourami is and if I can use one medication to treat the silver dollar and the gourami? If not, what two medications can I use at the same time to treat these fish?

Here is some additional information for you.

The tank is old and has not been used for a long time.

I feed my fish chopped cucumber and tetra tropical flakes twice a day.

I change 50 percent of my water 2 times a week.

The tank has an undergravel filter and a magnum 350 canister filter.

The temperature in my aquarium is about 80 degrees Fahrenheit.

Back
Top Bottom