Sick guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vnv

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Sick guppy - Update RIP guppy :(

I currently have one guppy and one platy in an uncycled 55 gallon (200 litre) tank. I last did a partial water change 3 days ago.

I have an API test kit, I tested this morning:
Ammonia 0.0ppm - 0.25ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
pH - 8.0

Last night fish were fine, energetic, eating.

This morning guppy is sick, laying on bottom of the tank gasping.

I was expecting the ammonia to be higher, is there any chance my test is faulty. After 3 days even with a small bioload in the tank, should't I expect some build up of ammonia?

Since the ammonia is not high what else could be wrong with my guppy?

Last edited:
Is the tank circulating with a filter or air stone ?
What is the temp?
Have you seen the fish eat.
I would not expect a large rise in ammonia with only 2 small fish in a 55..

If no parasites, or bacterial growths are observed on the guppy, and no aggression was seen between the two fish, then the guppy simply might not be strong enough to go through the cycling process.
If you think the guppy has a fighting chance, another partial WC might help. Probably a good idea to buy a few more Platys, Mollies or Zebra Danios to cycle the tank.
A good water conditioner helps during cycling. It seems most forum members, including me, use "Prime". Hope things level out soon.

+1 on what cb said... Ammonia would be very minimal if you could even get a reading in a 55g with 2 small fish. Yeah whats the temp and do you have an airstone or a filter running with some bubbles splashing in? I had that problem once where the oxygen levels dropped crazy low and killed a couple of fish

I am using Prime when I do water changes.

Tank filter is an Aquael 1000. This filter comes with an air inlet tube which I disconnected as it was causing heaps of microbubbles. I could reattach it though. The outlet is directed towards the surface so I have good surface agitation.

I live in a tropical climate so it is really hard to keep the temp below 30-31C. I currently have the air conditioner running which usually brings the temp down slowly to around 27-28C.

The guppy has always been a voracious eater and was eating enthusiastically when I fed them yesterday.

Sounds like it's too warm in there for him and warmer eater depletes oxygen levels quicker, I would add the air inlet tube back on and get him so more oxygen and try to lower the tank temperature and see if that helps

Thanks, I have added the air inlet tube back. Current temp is 29C.

Guppy is not looking good at all and I think he might be too far gone now :(:(

Maybe do a 40% water change with cooler water to help bring the temp down and make sure the waters perfect... That should help his odds of survival

Will try that, I have to wait until the evening though because the tap water will be too warm and will increase the temp in the tank. Even in the evening the tap water is still warm, I only have room to cool about 10ltrs in the fridge.

I probably should have mentioned this guppy was an original fish I bought and had in a 5 gallon with 2 platys before I knew anything about the nitrogen cycle. One of the platys had fry, who all died along with one of the platys. I assume from ammonia poisoning.

The guppy never showed any signs of ammonia poisoning but was no doubt exposed to high levels of ammonia in that tank for around 2 and a half weeks. I was doing water changes most days towards the end after I knew, while I was organising the bigger tank.

They have been in the bigger tank for around a week. Could the previous ammonia exposure be catching up to my guppy now?

The surviving platy had a few days where I was certain she was going to die but she has now come good.

I probably should have mentioned this guppy was an original fish I bought and had in a 5 gallon with 2 platys before I knew anything about the nitrogen cycle. One of the platys had fry, who all died along with one of the platys. I assume from ammonia poisoning.

The guppy never showed any signs of ammonia poisoning but was no doubt exposed to high levels of ammonia in that tank for around 2 and a half weeks. I was doing water changes most days towards the end after I knew, while I was organising the bigger tank.

Could the previous ammonia exposure be catching up to my guppy now?

The surviving platy had a few days where I was certain she was going to die but she has now come good.

I believe the damage done can be permanent depending on the exposure time and levels..Good chance the previous exposure is the culprit.
Sorry about your gup.

Back
Top Bottom