Sick guppy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kingpin403

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This morning I noticed one of my year old female guppy was looking different. Seems to be breathing quickly and looks like there are scales missing from the back section.

She is in a 75 gallon tank
I posted my water tests in another message.
Kept with other guppy, an angelfish, a bn pleco, and three glow tetra.

Water changes are done 10gal declorinated. Once a week right now.

There are a few decorations in the tank but I’ve not seen her rub against them. I’ve included a couple photos. Hoping someone might know. The others don’t seem to have this problem.

https://flic.kr/p/2nTJBb9

https://flic.kr/p/2nTJX4Z

It could be gill flukes or a fungal or bacterial infection in the gills. The fish could also have an internal bacterial infection.

Is the fish eating normally?
What does the fish's poop look like?

If the fish is eating normally, you could try moving it into a spare tank and adding some salt, (see directions below). If you don't have a spare tank you can add salt to the main tank but I would do a big water change and gravel clean the substrate first, and clean the filter too. (Wash filter media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn/ garden outside). A small water change doesn't do much to clean up the tank conditions. You want to do at least 50 (preferably 75%) water changes each week to dilute nutrients and disease organisms in the water.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

If the fish has stopped eating and does a stringy white poop, it has an internal bacterial infection and will probably die in a day or two. There's not normally any treatment for internal bacterial infections because once the fish shows symptoms, the damage has already been done.

---------------------

SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt) swimming pool salt, or any non iodised salt (sodium chloride) to the aquarium at the dose rate of 1 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water. If there is no improvement after 48 hours you can double that dose rate so there is 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

If you only have livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), goldfish or rainbowfish in the tank you can double that dose rate, so you would add 2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres and if there is no improvement after 48 hours, then increase it so there is a total of 4 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria but the higher dose rate (4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will affect some plants and some snails. The lower dose rate (1-2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) will not affect fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.

Thanks

Thanks for this. Would it be beneficial to treat the whole tank?? A mixture of guppy, an angelfish, bristle plecky, and three glow tetra.

None of the other fish seem off kilter at the moment. But that could change I suppose.

Do you think the salt would be beneficial for the others as a just in case? I’d be happy to try but I do have a small tank I could set aside for a hospital.

Also. I don’t have quick access to go buy salt but I do have a bunch of epsom salt on hand would / could that work as a substitute ???

-thanks.

It's preferable not to add salt to the main display tank if possible. Salt does stress fish a bit and the issue might be isolated to the guppy. So try to treat the guppy in a separate if you can. If you can't treat it separately, then add salt to the main display tank.

You should monitor the other fish in the display tank and if any develop the same symptoms or just act unusually, post pictures and a 1 minute video of them so we can see what's going on. You can upload videos to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

If you use a mobile phone to film the fish, hold the phone horizontally so the footage fills the entire screen.

------------------

You want to use sodium chloride, which is common table salt, sea salt, rock salt or swimming pool salt. Basically any cooking salt you put on food (check the ingredients for sodium chloride), but make sure it doesn't have iodine or anti-caking agents in it. The anti-caking agents are more of an issue than iodine so if you have some table salt without the anti-caking agents, you can use that.

Epsom Salts contain magnesium sulfate and does nothing to treat fish, with the exception of helping to draw excess unwanted fluid out of them if they have dropsy (fat bloated belly caused by fluid build up).

REturning to report that after a week of some frequent 10G water changes and switching up the feeding (a slightly different mix of flake and smaller feedings instead of 2 larger feedings) seems to have done the whole group good. Scales still look a little off but color is better, gills look healthier, and overall activity is improving.

Not sure what did it all but she's looking a lot better. Thank you all for the advice.

-Kingpin

Back
Top Bottom