Sick Neon Tetra?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RandomUsername

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got 10 neon tetras 4 days ago for my new tank. The shopkeeper told me that I should start off with fish in the tank and it being my first tank I believed her. I read up on it and found out how bad it is so have been doing regular water changes of 30%, I did one yesterday.
One of my fish is hanging around the bottom of the tank. He's pale and not schooling with all the other fish. He's quite a bit smaller than than the largest fish and is being bullied by him, could this be why he's pale?
My ammonia and nitrates are at a good level- I checked them today and they were both low but I had really high pH. I have been trying to bring it down but it's not happening very fast. Is he getting sick from the alkaline water?
It's a 90 litre (23 gallon) tank and all of the other fish look fine, including the other small ones.
Does anyone know what could be wrong with him? I really don't want him to die.

He's likely suffering from the effects of ammonia and nitrite poisoning. You say those numbers are low, how low? What are you using to test? With fish in cycling you need to keep it .25 or less. Please read about fish in cycling. For now go ahead and do a 50% water change to bring those numbers down further.

He's likely suffering from the effects of ammonia and nitrite poisoning. You say those numbers are low, how low? What are you using to test? With fish in cycling you need to keep it .25 or less. Please read about fish in cycling. For now go ahead and do a 50% water change to bring those numbers down further.
Thanks I've been changing it a lot more and he's up and joining the group, they all look happy and healthy :)

Back
Top Bottom