Sick panda cory?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just picked up 2 panda corys and 1 agassi cory yester day from my lfs and one of them is perfectly fine swimming about and digging through sand as they usually do but the other one just sits next to a rock all day and does nothing at all! What is wrong with him/her? And i drip acclimated the for 2 hours.

Temp:77ºf
Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrites: unknown
Nitrates:unknown
Ph:7.5
Water changes done 25% once a week

image-3621633206.jpg

image-3772558687.jpg

image-1814871954.jpg

image-4069751521.jpg

Is he eating ? It is very hard to say what might be wrong. You do sometimes get a sick fish, and they sometimes are injured when caught in a net, their spines can get stuck, which can be traumatic for them.

If he won't eat, might want to call the store and ask if he can be replaced, as he has not been normal since you got him home. Depends where you buy, what their policy is.

Nice to hear you drip acclimated, it should be done more often.

Is he eating ? It is very hard to say what might be wrong. You do sometimes get a sick fish, and they sometimes are injured when caught in a net, their spines can get stuck, which can be traumatic for them.

If he won't eat, might want to call the store and ask if he can be replaced, as he has not been normal since you got him home. Depends where you buy, what their policy is.

Nice to hear you drip acclimated, it should be done more often.

No he died yesterday and my 2nd one isnt ether i just plopped 2 algea wafers in

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes stock in fish stores is good, sometimes it is not. It can be awfully difficult to tell one way or another, but if when you get them home they don't eat, or sit still as your fish did, it's not a good sign to see. I would have called the store and at least complained.

Many stores do have a no return policy, but if you are a good customer, they may be willing to make an exception in some cases. It can't hurt to ask, just be polite. If they don't give a toot, don't shop there again if at all possible.

Corys like to be in 6 plus groups. Maybe try to get more to save your little guy. Tip on buying Corys is to look at their filers ( the barbels, the little catfish looking tentilcals around the mouth) have to be there and heathly looking they will die if they cant find food and thosr filers are how they find it...just thought I share my experience s

Your Corydoras

Hello Fish...

Ideally, you want to keep one Cory for every 5 gallons of tank volume, a minimum of 5, more is much better. These fish are foragers and need plenty of room to roam around the tank. These fish aren't good for a small tank. Anyway, if this is the best you can do for your fish, then at least provide pure water conditions.

Small water changes do little to maintain low levels of the nitrogens that are toxic to aquarium fish. If you remove and replace just 25 percent of the tank water, then you leave 75 percent of the waste in the tank.

Start providing a lot of pure, treated tap water for your fish. Weekly water changes of at least half the tank volume will keep your fish and plants much healthier.

B

Sorry to hear that. I try and get my plants and fish from an independtly owned and operated lfs, i want to support them and their awesomeness- they quarantine fish for 3 days before putting them for sale! Sometimes i have to get fish from petco or petsmart if the btter store has none of that kind tho. I have found that 75% of my petsmart fish die within a month, ive had a betta and a few tetras that i had for over a year each, two for the ttras- i still have those. Ty and gt at least 4 in a group, but corys mich prefer to be in groups of 8+, it brings out their shoaling. Shoaling is moving togther in scattered formation, schooling is moving in exactly same direction at same speed with no wanderers. Good luck.

Yea I tend to like the lfs too but honestly fish die we cant say this is a cheap hobby or I cant with my 5 fish tanks but honestly the commons I buy from the chain stores like my ottos, rainbows, and even had my best luck with the glass cats from chain stores. Its all about how much time u put in ur tanks, doing research into the fish, cleaning, water changes, and even I go as far as having a quarantine tank for my new additions to my tanks. I like corys and they are great in pacts of 6 or more imo. Good luck on ur tank. When ever adding fish I us melafix to help just a thought...

Sorry to hear that. I try and get my plants and fish from an independtly owned and operated lfs, i want to support them and their awesomeness- they quarantine fish for 3 days before putting them for sale! Sometimes i have to get fish from petco or petsmart if the btter store has none of that kind tho. I have found that 75% of my petsmart fish die within a month, ive had a betta and a few tetras that i had for over a year each, two for the ttras- i still have those. Ty and gt at least 4 in a group, but corys mich prefer to be in groups of 8+, it brings out their shoaling. Shoaling is moving togther in scattered formation, schooling is moving in exactly same direction at same speed with no wanderers. Good luck.

Yeah mine were from anindependently owned store

Its all about the quality of the fish...I like to fish gallery in dallas tx bc they have the largest selection in fresh water imo and the majority of there tanks have independent filtration systems so that way if one fish gets sick the rest dont...I drive about an hour to get to fish gallery and other than the wild caught adolfoi corys I got and lost all but one but everything else ive ever gottin from there are great and healthy today. Its all about choosing wisely your fish and to do that one would definitely need to do research.

Tip if all the tanks filtration are connected to each other and one tank has a sick fishs they all could be contaminated and I wouldnt buy anything imo. That's the first thing I do is look for sick dead or dying fish...

Its all about the quality of the fish...I like to fish gallery in dallas tx bc they have the largest selection in fresh water imo and the majority of there tanks have independent filtration systems so that way if one fish gets sick the rest dont...I drive about an hour to get to fish gallery and other than the wild caught adolfoi corys I got and lost all but one but everything else ive ever gottin from there are great and healthy today. Its all about choosing wisely your fish and to do that one would definitely need to do research.

Tip if all the tanks filtration are connected to each other and one tank has a sick fishs they all could be contaminated and I wouldnt buy anything imo. That's the first thing I do is look for sick dead or dying fish...

I have never found had a dead fish in my time being in the hobbie i guess it was the lfs tank

Normally there fish are great i will still buy from them but i will check really well first

Back
Top Bottom