Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2004, 06:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sick platy

One of my platys has been hanging out at the top of the tank all day, very still. I don't know if it's because of the water quality that he had to endure during the hurricane, or what. I just got them (6 platys and 1 pictus catfish) on Wednesday, and they're in a 10 gal QT tank.

We were without power for a about 40 hours but I had battery powered air stones in my tanks. All the other fish seem fine. I did a 30% water change yesterday. I just tested, and the parameters are fine: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 30.

Should I move him to a hospital tank? What should I do for him? TIA for any advice.

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
cginflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:09 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My platy died during the night. The others seem fine so far.

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
Old 08-17-2004, 08:10 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Did you have the tank heated? Even though it's warm down there in the sunshine state..that water gets chilly at night time. The cold temps could have stressed him out enought to allow something to move in.
Sorry to hear about the little guy!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:11 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Aww! And right after I replied too! Sorry CG!!!

I know the others live long and prosper under your watchful eye!

Take Care!

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:47 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks, DT

Trust me, the water didn't get cold. We didn't have power because of the hurricane, so no air conditioning. The water temps stayed at 78. And with no power I wouldn't be able to run a heater even if I had to. Unless there are battery powered heaters? Is there such an animal?

I think we need to get a generator.

Old 08-17-2004, 11:10 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I'm pretty sure there are battery powered heaters CG. Good luck though with the rest of the fishies!

Old 08-26-2004, 10:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hey CG, that was some little storm huh? We had no power from Friday, when Charley hit until around noon on Sunday. I ran battery powered air pumps too but would have liked them to be a little more powerful. I did some pwc along the way and all my fish were fine.
You're right about the tanks not getting cold. I know lots of folks would have been overjoyed with cooler temps. Florida in August without AC or even a fan is not fun.
I hope you didn't have any damage at your place. We were very lucky here in that respect. Take care.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks, tropicalman, I'm glad you made it through the storm okay. Our neighborhood lost a lot of trees, but there wasn't too much damage to houses. We lost 2 trees and 2 more will have to come down. Our screen enclosure to the patio has a big dent in the roof where limbs came down on it. We also got our power back on Sunday afternoon, so we consider ourselves some of the lucky ones with it out less than 48 hours.

What part of Florida are you from? Are you in Orlando?

Old 08-26-2004, 02:45 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes I'm in O-Town just off Lake Underhill.
Old 08-26-2004, 02:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don't know how that got posted twice 8O
Old 08-26-2004, 04:22 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

LOL, that happens to me sometimes, too.

We live on the southwest side of town, in Dr. Phillips, off Apopka-Vineland Road.

Old 08-26-2004, 11:33 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well it's nice to meet a neighbor.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:54 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Likewise, T-man.

Tags
ick, platy, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com