Sick platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeljkp

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone.

I have a sick platy here with what I think is fin rot (the end of her tail is jagged with red splotches). We noticed it last night, when we saw her kind of laying on her side on the gravel at the bottom of our tank and having trouble swimming and doing things.

We went ahead and transferred her to a small 1-gallon "hospital" tank with some gravel and an air stone. I put some MelaFix in there along with 1tsp of salt. I checked the water properties and everything looks good. The temperature indicator says about 76-78 deg F (we don't have a tank heater).

My question is about feeding... it looks like she's having a lot of trouble swimming at all, much less up to the top of the tank. I have some livebearer flake food that I use that sits at the top for a few seconds, then starts to sink once it gets disturbed. I fed her last night and I didn't see her make it to the top before everything had sunk! It does have a few tubiflex worms in there that stay up at the top longer, but I haven't see her eat any of those either.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm afraid she's going to starve or something before her fin heals.

Thanks in advance.

Peas sink. You can try peas. Microwave a couple, cool them, remove the skins, smoosh them up a bit, and drop them in the tank.

Welcome to AA! What are the parameters in the main tank? What are the other tankmates and what size tank? Is she bloated at all? I would target feed a couple of frozen bloodworms, this can be done by a turkey baster or small syringe. If she has any bloating the frozen peas may help. Have you seen her poo lately? Is it white and stringy or normal?

Back
Top Bottom